News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia passes law banning gay 'propaganda'

Started by Syt, June 11, 2013, 11:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 30, 2013, 08:03:01 AM
So I heard gay bars are pouring out Russian vodka in protest.  TAKE THAT, PUTIN.

Poor Stoli.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Oh noes they have to order more Russian vodka.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Today is VDV day in Russia.  VDV are Russian airborne troops.  My favorite Russian dashcam video site posted numerous videos of men in VDV uniforms celebrating the holiday by attempting to lynch gays, and getting into fights with police and SWAT protecting them.  You know you're a vile piece of shit when you make Russian police and Russian SWAT look good.  Russia is a very, very scary place these days.

Sheilbh

I've seen those videos and a few other videos and photos from Russia, as you say it's very scary.

Do the airborne troops know how homoerotic their uniforms look by the way? Were they designed by Jean-Paul Gaultier?
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I'm avoiding viewing them. Not much good I think can come from me watching them. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2013, 07:37:35 PM
I've seen those videos and a few other videos and photos from Russia, as you say it's very scary.

Do the airborne troops know how homoerotic their uniforms look by the way? Were they designed by Jean-Paul Gaultier?
When you develop as terrifying a reputation as VDV guys, you can wear only thongs and still scare everyone into not noticing the silliness of it.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Neil

Guys, it's Russia.  It has always been terrible.

Besides, the only Russian gay we know is Martinus.  What if they're all like that?  Would the reaction of the various awful thugs be so unreasonable if they were reacting to constantly being tackled in the street for carrying their weapons with them?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2013, 01:51:06 AM
They get the leadership they deserve.  A lot of the headline nasty things that Putin does are widely supported by the population.  It does seem to be a vicious circle, where fascist government raises people to think like fascists, and then people who think like fascists support fascist government, but now it's kinda late in the cycle to change anything.

I think some of the support of Putin is starting to crack. The younger generation in the cities has a more european outlook.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on August 05, 2013, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2013, 01:51:06 AM
They get the leadership they deserve.  A lot of the headline nasty things that Putin does are widely supported by the population.  It does seem to be a vicious circle, where fascist government raises people to think like fascists, and then people who think like fascists support fascist government, but now it's kinda late in the cycle to change anything.

I think some of the support of Putin is starting to crack. The younger generation in the cities has a more european outlook.
The young urban dwellers may be anti-Putin, but they still have ugly mindsets.  In Russia, "tolerantniy" is a sarcastic insult, and that is universal.  Can't really build a democracy where the whole concept of tolerance is mocked.

Siege

About time somebody did something about the Vast Gay Conspiracy.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Well one positive is that it got Wentworth Miller to come out as gay.

Syt

During the recent track & field world championships in Moscow, an athlete painted her fingernails the colors of the rainbow (like the gay pride flag). She was chastised by her sports federation that this might be considered a political statement which is not allowed under the contest's rules.

IIRC, the IOC has warned similarly that political actions by athletes during the Sochi 2014 games might lead to their being excluded from the contests.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?