Main Menu

RIP Iain Banks

Started by mongers, June 09, 2013, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

A sad loss, a great writer and too sudden a way to go.  :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22835047

Iain Banks dies of cancer aged 59

Author Iain Banks has died aged 59, two months after announcing he had terminal cancer, his family has said.

The Scottish writer revealed in April he was suffering from terminal gall bladder cancer and was unlikely to live for more than a year.

He was best known for his novels The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road and Complicity.

In a statement, his publisher said he was "an irreplaceable part of the literary world".

Little, Brown Book Group said the author was "one of the country's best-loved novelists" for both his mainstream and science fiction books.

"Iain Banks' ability to combine the most fertile of imaginations with his own highly distinctive brand of gothic humour made him unique," it said.

After announcing his illness in April, Banks asked his publishers to bring forward the release date of his latest novel, The Quarry, so he could see it on the shelves.

On Sunday, it was revealed the book - to be released on 20 June - would detail the physical and emotional strain of cancer.

It describes the final weeks of the life of a man in his 40s who has terminal cancer.

"Just three weeks ago he was presented with finished copies of his last novel and enjoyed celebration parties with old friends and fans across the publishing world," Little, Brown said.

Banks had described being "hugely moved" by the public support for him through his website.

"Still knocked out by the love and the depth of feeling coming from so many people; thank you, all of you," he wrote on Banksophilia last month.

The Wasp Factory, Banks' first novel, was published in 1984 and was ranked as one of the best 100 books of the 20th Century in a 1997 poll conducted by book chain Waterstone's and Channel 4.

The writer also wrote sci-fi titles under the name Iain M Banks. His most recent book, The Hydrogen Sonata, was released last yea
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Wow.  Scottish literature just lost its greatest writer ever.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Zanza

:( Too bad, read like 10 books of him. Great writer.

mongers

An obituary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22015717

In May, the author said he did not have many regrets in his life.

"I've had a brilliant life and I think I've been more lucky than unlucky, even including the news of the cancer. I've written 29 books. I'm leaving a substantial body of work behind me. Whether that'll survive, who knows, but I can be quite proud of that and I am," he said.

That's a modest, confident and true testament.

grumbler

Wow.  :(

Wasn't wow'ed by his SF (which was very good) so much as by his fiction.  Huge loss. There were lots more great works in there.  You could tell.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PRC

Sad to hear.  Read plenty of his fiction and SF books and enjoyed most of them.

Richard Hakluyt

A fine writer, pity he died so young  :(

Warspite

A real loss. He had great ideas and concepts for his books, but also a wonderful ability to translate them into extremely readable prose.  :(
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers