Windows XP Security Center

Started by garbon, June 09, 2013, 10:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Any idea why security center would be showing me pop-ups that I'm at risk as my firewall and automatic updates are disabled? Both are actually enabled and Security Center itself when you load it up tells you that Firewall is enabled (though not automatic updates and it fails to tun them on by itself if you click to resolve).

That said, I really should just get a new desktop as this poor baby has been running (with only minor upgrades) since '05/'06.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Yeah, get a new computer. Reasonably equipped desktops are cheap here, so I imagine they're dirt cheap over there.

With that said, have you tried turning it off and on again? (The Security Center that is) I seem to recall that working when my XP went crazy with pop ups.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I've been putting off for a bit, but yeah this'll probably be the year that I change up.

Unfortunately, no as soon as it started back up, it went haywire again. Wouldn't be so bad if the pop-ups didn't keep re-occuring so for now I'll need to tell it not to tell me about automatic updates or my firewall.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Until you change computer, if you are sure you have an AV & Firewall, both up to date:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=348
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon