News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Death By Bicycle

Started by garbon, June 07, 2013, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://live.wsj.com/video/opinion-death-by-bicycle/C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D.html#!C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D

This old lady is lovely! :D

Exec summ: Her ranting about the dangers of the new bike share program. /this is not Paris, London or Amsterdam.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Where do you stand on this controversial subject, garbon?

garbon

I think she's overplaying it, but I agree that bicyclists are a hazard in the city. They supposedly must follow the rules of the road but never do.  Unlike pedestrians (who also often do whatever they feel like - though also have right of way), bicycles move pretty quickly - so they can be quite a bit harder to compensate for when driving or walking.

I can understand though why it'd be better for cities to have fewer bikes and more cars, so I think find if we move towards trend of more bicyclists but then they are also going to have to be properly ticketed/obey the supposed rules that we have.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2013, 04:01:51 PM
I can understand though why it'd be better for cities to have fewer bikes and more cars,
I assume you mean the opposite?

But in any case, it's not going to make the bicyclists behave to ticket them. Our police are pretty good to have controls targeting cyclists, but they're still the traffic group that are most reckless and rule breaking. It's always going to be how to fastest get to your goal.

I can't figure out why, our drivers are pretty well behaved.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Fuck the cyclists. They belong in stadiums or to 12 years old.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 07, 2013, 04:24:07 PM

Are you overweight?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

The whole bike sharing program was on The Daily Show last night;  they had a good take on it, particularly when Al Madrigal interviewed the black guy from the shitty neighborhood that didn't have any.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-june-6-2013-

"Bike Sharing: Europe's Most Boring Idea"

Hilarious.

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on June 07, 2013, 04:28:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 07, 2013, 04:24:07 PM

Are you overweight?

No, I just hate cyclists.

Get out of my way!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on June 07, 2013, 04:20:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2013, 04:01:51 PM
I can understand though why it'd be better for cities to have fewer bikes and more cars,
I assume you mean the opposite?

Yeah. :blush:

garbon

Quote from: Liep on June 07, 2013, 04:20:18 PM
But in any case, it's not going to make the bicyclists behave to ticket them. Our police are pretty good to have controls targeting cyclists, but they're still the traffic group that are most reckless and rule breaking. It's always going to be how to fastest get to your goal.

I can't figure out why, our drivers are pretty well behaved.

If that's the case, ban the fuckers! Or maybe say 3 tickets? Go directly to jail, do not pass go.

Darth Wagtaros

Too many bicyclists are assholes.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2013, 03:43:33 PM
http://live.wsj.com/video/opinion-death-by-bicycle/C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D.html#!C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D

This old lady is lovely! :D

Exec summ: Her ranting about the dangers of the new bike share program. /this is not Paris, London or Amsterdam.
it's from Montreal actually.

It works well, but can't generate a buck to cover its operating costs, and somehow, despite a 100% public financing, none of the profits due to the sale of the technology returns to the city or government of Quebec.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

We have bicyclists all over the fucking place.  Bring that shit to Hattiesburg.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

I love how batshit old lady seems to be convinced the interviewer's agreeing with her while she's obviously trying not to crack up.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 08, 2013, 07:16:02 AM
I love how batshit old lady seems to be convinced the interviewer's agreeing with her while she's obviously trying not to crack up.

I'm not sure. I mean I believe they said the old woman on a member of their board and the reporter does say some strange things at times (like when she mentions how they make it impossible for fire trucks to get to subways).