City of Hattiesburg mayoral race a giant fustercluck

Started by Scipio, June 06, 2013, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Municipal elections were on Tuesday.  We had five candidates in the mayoral race, but only two of any consequence.  Tuesday night, after counting the absentee ballots, the incumbent was ahead by 33 votes.  The challenger, a two-term councilman, was second.  There were 115 affidavit ballots to be counted.

Yesterday, they went through about 90 affidavit ballots, verifying the existence of persons who voted by affidavit as registered voters.  Only 38 were accepted.  Overnight, city hall and the city hall vault were left unlocked with the affidavit ballots inside the vault.  The seal on the ballot box was not tampered with.

Today, one of the affidavit ballots was reinstated when the voter marched into city hall with her voter registration card, showing she'd been registered in the city since summer, 2012.

Until all the affidavit ballots are reviewed and authenticated or thrown out, none of them can be counted.

Check twitter hashtag #haelex for the juicy details.  I'd link a news story, but our local Gannett paper has told me that I'm out of free views of articles.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Do you have anything to do with the vote-counting process?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 06, 2013, 11:56:17 AM

One for you; one for me. One for you; two for me.
and the horse you rode in on

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 06, 2013, 11:56:17 AM
I have nothing to do with anything, since I have a city job.  But this whole thing is flipping hilarious.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Scipio

Have you ever wanted to watch the live feed of an election contest?  Starring a black male lawyer named Precious Martin, and a white lawyer named Malcolm Jones?

http://www.wdam.com/story/22909583/live-video

Also, #haelex on Twitter.  The Judge and two lawyers for the Mayor fell asleep this afternoon.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt