Misplaced Honor: US bases named after rebel mediocrities

Started by jimmy olsen, June 05, 2013, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on June 07, 2013, 08:01:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2013, 07:53:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2013, 08:18:35 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 06, 2013, 08:02:19 AM
But at the same time, you can't convince them to leave the reservations and go somewhere decent because the band leadership benefits from the system and fights hard to convince their people that the reason that they're poor is a conspiracy.

Naturally, the only person less qualified to discuss Native American poverty than fascist Euronigger filth like Viking is a Canadian.

Isn't it true though that there is a sizable contingent of Native Americans who don't want to leave their reservations?

Wasnt there a big discussion on here about the indians and "Teh Res" a while back?

Yep, I remember it.

Reservations are great and all, it's just that they're mostly located in the worst places to support strong economic activity.

CountDeMoney

Isn't it true though that there is a sizable contingent of Native Americans who don't want to leave their reservations?

Sure, there are substantial internal issues those nations face regarding their identity and autonomy that doesn't exist in the only other American demographic that was never assimilated properly--The Black Man--but that doesn't make their economic plight OK, either.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2013, 08:18:35 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 06, 2013, 08:02:19 AM
But at the same time, you can't convince them to leave the reservations and go somewhere decent because the band leadership benefits from the system and fights hard to convince their people that the reason that they're poor is a conspiracy.
Naturally, the only person less qualified to discuss Native American poverty than fascist Euronigger filth like Viking is a Canadian.
Indeed.  Understanding the problem isn't the American way.  Maybe if you give them all handguns and chant 'USA!', the problem will go away on its own.

You don't know shit about shit, city-slicker.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2013, 08:24:33 PM

Sure, there are substantial internal issues those nations face regarding their identity and autonomy that doesn't exist in the only other American demographic that was never assimilated properly--The Black Man--but that doesn't make their economic plight OK, either.

You're right but it is hard to gain political support when continue to self-segregate. Your natural allies aren't going to join on that cause.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2013, 08:50:49 PM
You're right but it is hard to gain political support when continue to self-segregate. Your natural allies aren't going to join on that cause.

While the AIM movement was inspired by the civil rights movement, they weren't exactly embraced by their "natural allies";  unfortunately, one of the weaknesses of the civil rights movement was the sense of proprietorship by the African American community.

And as far as self-segregation is concerned, it goes both ways: they are recognized as separate nations.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2013, 09:17:32 PM

While the AIM movement was inspired by the civil rights movement, they weren't exactly embraced by their "natural allies";  unfortunately, one of the weaknesses of the civil rights movement was the sense of proprietorship by the African American community.

And as far as self-segregation is concerned, it goes both ways: they are recognized as separate nations.

Big magic didnt work

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
Save it, Custer.

Fort Sitting Bull, Camp Taunto, NAS Geronimo

Change Fort Erwin (NTC) to  Camp Trail of Tears

:P

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Yeah none of that really contradicts what I said given that we're now in 2013.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

To get back the original post, somewhere in Missouri there should be a Camp ButlerBanksMcDowellFremontHalleck named after the retard camps from Victory Games ACW.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2013, 11:37:48 PM

So take your number and get in line with the rest of the "Blame the Injuns for their shit lot in life", please.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 08, 2013, 09:04:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2013, 11:37:48 PM

So take your number and get in line with the rest of the "Blame the Injuns for their shit lot in life", please.

But I'm not. As with all things it is more complicated than a simple blame game.

alfred russel

Quote from: Agelastus on June 06, 2013, 05:34:37 AM
What a joke of an article.

Many of the men at those bases are the descendants of the men who "killed United States soldiers"; why shouldn't the bases be named after the men who led their ancestors? Perhaps you can argue about the suitability of some of the names, but the principle (that the names of such people can be used) shouldn't be touched.

Would you say the same if citizens of the United States of Native American descent started a campaign to get Fort Custer and the rest of the bases named for "Indian Fighters" changed?

-
--
---

And as an aside, I thought Bragg's reputation as a general had been largely rehabilitated over the last few years?

Yeah, it is true that some of the soldiers had ancestors that fought under those guys. It is also true that some of the soldiers had ancestors that considered them rebels and fought against them. But most importantly, I think, the fighting was over keeping some of the ancestors of current soldiers as slaves.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I had always wondered what kept Indians from leaving the reservation and moving to where there is work.  Now I know.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2013, 11:40:53 AM
I had always wondered what kept Indians from leaving the reservation and moving to where there is work.  Now I know.

Now serving #32.