Extending wi-fi coverage to 500m

Started by viper37, June 03, 2013, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Could I cover about 500m, outdoors, with a single kit that does not costs in the tens of thousand of dollars?  I'd like to have one internet connection for my office/home, for my dad accross the street, my my warehouse and my aunt's home about halfway through all these points?

My router already pushes halfway to the warehouse and my dad's place, wich happens to be my aunt's living room, but it's the ultimate limit with a range extender in my house.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

You can sometimes get better antenae for routers.  You can also get some WAPS and use them as repeaters for the signal from teh router. 
PDH!

Caliga

Yeah, put in a repeater in your aunt's living room.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Phillip V

Josquius

I use dd-wrt firmware. Has more features then standard packed in stuff and does let you boost your router signal. It has the disclaimer however that this might be illegal
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 03, 2013, 08:07:35 PM
Are you willing to spend 5k?
Nope.

I'll make some tests with my range extender when my cousin comes.

Can we piggy back those devices to extend the range?  Would 3 range extenders make it work?  I need one in my house so I have decent wi-fi connexion, one in my aunt's living room and one in the warehouse?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I think you can but you might suffer signal degradation.

Look on this website, Viper : http://www.simplewifi.com/
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

EDIT: my router does not have antenna port  <_<

Darth Wagtaros

Back to using a repeater then. Or multiple repeaters.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Repeater doesn't have to be expensive, either, considering the aforementioned DD-WRT firmware.
Experience bij!

Caliga

I have a Netgear repeater that I think cost me $20.  Works perfectly (though it's taken several firmware upgrades to get it to this point).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points