News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Apartment hunting tips

Started by Jaron, June 01, 2013, 02:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Hello everyone!

Since I moved to Utah I've been renting rooms in peoples houses/condos, etc and that's been fine, but I decided I'm tired of dealing with other people in my living space.

I've been hunting for apartments now, and while the 650-700 price tag for a 1 or 2 BR makes me cringe, I've decided to go for it anyway.

Some questions though:

What should I be careful of? What sort of things should I scout out before I put my name on a lease?

What pitfalls have others run into when looking for a new place that they regret?

I probably won't make a move until August, but I'm preparing now. This is what happens when your landlord starts leasing to the Congolese*. <_<

Thanks!

* - I'm not racist, but my new roommates cause all kinds of trouble. Late night parties, drumming in my living room, cooking large batches of some foul smelling food. I must escape. :P

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Are you looking for: Lebensraum?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

My advice: find something that's not in Utah.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Utah has been good to me. This is truly the land of milk and honey.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

See if utilities are included.

And 650 for 1 BR sounds great to me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2013, 02:47:47 PM

No shit, that's like early 1990's prices.

garbon

I think I paid 800 for a studio once.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2013, 04:33:08 PM
I think I paid 800 for a studio once.

Taking anecdotal evidence from you considering where you have lived post college just shouldn't be done :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Ahem, I lived in that studio (in Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago) during a summer in college. A studio post-college? No, no, no! :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2013, 02:49:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2013, 02:47:47 PM

No shit, that's like early 1990's prices.
That depends an awful lot on geography.  In NYC area, one bedroom apartment in a non-shitty neighborhood would go for at least double that.

viper37

Quote from: Jaron on June 01, 2013, 02:27:28 PM
Some questions though:
What should I be careful of? What sort of things should I scout out before I put my name on a lease?
What pitfalls have others run into when looking for a new place that they regret?
Watch the surroundings, the exterior of the appartment, the back of the building, particularly if some people have a tendancy to put their garbages anywhere but in the trash.  Visit the basement, the utility room, etc, take a good look.

Look at the exterior building itself, what color it is, what material it is built of: dark metallic colors will attract heat, making it near unlivable in the summer without A/C while making no difference in winter.

Try to visit on a cold, rainy day.  Pass your hands near the windows, check if there's a big temperature gap, if you feel any air rushing out.  This will indicate isolation problem, way too hot in summer, way too cold in winter.

Inside the appartment, check the colors of the walls, if inadequate, when you're ready to sign do not hesitate to ask for paint as you will be there long terme.  If he refuses, move along.  Also check the floors&walls, what they look like, if they need repairs.  Ask it to be done before you come in and make sure you have a couple extra days before moving in your new appartment, in case something is wrong.

If there are things your ways that block your view, do not hesitate to ask permission to move them, whenever possible.  Look at the bathroom, how clean it appears, the closets if they feel like garbage areas.

Watch for vermin.  Mices, rats, ants, various insects.  Watch the floor outside the appartment, see if you spot something.  If you do, might want to stay away from there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I think that would make sense if he was buying an apt but...