Cheerios ad featuring interracial couple sparks racist backlash

Started by garbon, May 31, 2013, 11:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/cheerios-ad-sparks-racial-backlash-article-1.1359690

QuoteAn innocent ad for heart-healthy Cheerios has sparked an onslaught of disturbing racist backlash on the Internet.

The cereal brand was forced to pull comments from its YouTube page after a cereal commercial featuring an interracial family reportedly prompted a string of messages about Nazis, racial genocide and viewers so disgusted they "want to vomit."

The half-minute ad — which has more than 250,000 views — shows a young girl chatting about Cheerios with her Caucasian mother, and later pans to her black father. While the spot garnered an unusual amount of racist criticism, General Mills-owned Cheerios said the buzz wasn't all negative.

"Consumers have responded positively to our new Cheerios ad," Camille Gibson, the cereal brand's vice president of marketing, told the Daily News in a statement.

"At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all," she said.

Support from Cheerio fans showed up on Facebook.

"Having been mixed in the 70s, I'd like to thank everyone at Cheerios for making a commercial with an interracial couple!" Beschelle Lockhart wrote. "Going to buy boxes today! Many thanks for reflecting what my family looked like."

The commercial was created by the New York ad agency Saatchi & Saatchi. While a spokesperson for the agency called the response "interesting," she referred us to General Mills for further comment.

Sad / the video itself is cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kYofm5d5Xdw
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

First time I read it I thought it said they pulled the video :lol:

Generally a good idea to disable comments there, particularly if you're a corporate entity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Its a good ad.

That little girl is very cute.  People would have to have some serious pyschological issues to be upset about this.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Finally watched the video.  For some reason my company blocks youtube vids the way grabon linked this one but not the way 11B linked the prancercise video. 

At any rate, as an uncle of a bi-racial boy, I'm offended.  The white woman is sitting there paying bills while her lazy black husband is napping on the couch.  IS THAT HOW YOU SEE THINGS, CHEERIOS????
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2013, 11:51:31 AM
Its a good ad.

That little girl is very cute.  People would have to have some serious pyschological issues to be upset about this.
I would imagine that most of the comments were simple trolling, designed to get a reaction.  That's the nice thing about corporations, they always feed the trolls.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 12:19:01 PM
Finally watched the video.  For some reason my company blocks youtube vids the way grabon linked this one but not the way 11B linked the prancercise video. 

At any rate, as an uncle of a bi-racial boy, I'm offended.  The white woman is sitting there paying bills while her lazy black husband is napping on the couch.  IS THAT HOW YOU SEE THINGS, CHEERIOS????

Just needed some fried chicken and watermelon.  :P

P.s. I'd hit the mom. Make her ass go numb.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2013, 12:25:06 PM

She's gone black & apparently will not go back.  Sorry.

11B4V

Just needed some fried chicken and watermelon.  :P

Maybe it's a plot to tie into the Women bread winner article.  :ph34r:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 12:26:50 PM

She's gone black & apparently will not go back.  Sorry.

My mother is now with a white guy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Might be the embedded bit.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2013, 12:33:28 PM
My mother is now with a white guy.

:o  My black ex-coworker was lying! 

Please tell me that "the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice" is still true!

Kleves

I'm shocked - shocked - that people might say racist things on the internet in order to get a reaction.  :o
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 01:03:53 PM
Please tell me that "the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice" is still true!

The darker the flesh, the deeper the roots.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?