News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Henry Morgentaler RIP

Started by crazy canuck, May 30, 2013, 11:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Those of you outside Canada may not recognize his name but everyone in Canada does.  He is the person responsible for removing criminal laws regarding abortion.   On a personal level he signficantly informed my views not only regarding the abortion issue (turning me into an advocate for the pro choice movement) but also informing my views regarding the relationship between the State and the individual. 

Here is a good opinion piece on him

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/morgentaler-the-flawed-saint/article12245820/

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I am not sure what the response means.  Surely you know who he was BB.

If not here is a better editorial piece to inform you. :P

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/editorials/dr-morgentaler-was-a-mover-of-history/article12235270/

Grey Fox

Greatest Canadian to ever immigrate here. A Great hero.

RIP Hank.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

My mother always taught me not to speak ill of the recently dead.

I am well aware of Dr. Morgentaler.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

He saved countless lives, but I guess depending on how you look at the situation you can see him as the cause of countless deaths. Personally I think he did a great service to Canadians. The fact that three juries acquitted him (and the government doing the unheard of and overturning two of those acquittals to convictions) goes a long way to showing most Canadians agree.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on May 30, 2013, 12:05:45 PM
He saved countless lives, but I guess depending on how you look at the situation you can see him as the cause of countless deaths. Personally I think he did a great service to Canadians. The fact that three juries acquired him (and the government doing the unheard of and overturning two of those acquittals to convictions) goes along way to showing most Canadians agree.

A man cannot serve three juries.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Don't mock my phones autocorrect. It has sensitive feelings :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2013, 12:06:29 PM
He saved countless lives, but I guess depending on how you look at the situation you can see him as the cause of countless deaths. Personally I think he did a great service to Canadians. The fact that three juries acquired him (and the government doing the unheard of and overturning two of those acquittals to convictions) goes along way to showing most Canadians agree.

A man cannot serve three juries.
:lol:

Malthus

The abortion situation in Canada is a perfect example of a case in which doing nothing is actually the right move.

We haven't had a law concerning abortion for years, after the courts struck the last one down ... and we haven't missed it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Me Mom and Morgantaler was a pretty good band back in the 90s.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on May 30, 2013, 01:12:04 PM
Me Mom and Morgantaler was a pretty good band back in the 90s.

I interviewed them. Probably back in 1990? 91? For a Ska-Zine.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

but I guess depending on how you look at the situation you can see him as the cause of countless deaths.

and let us not get started on condom producers!!!!