Skeleton Lake of Roopkund, India. The Surprise Is What Killed Them …

Started by jimmy olsen, May 30, 2013, 03:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2013, 05:16:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2013, 05:06:49 PM
Why aren't there broken ribs and arms?  Wouldn't you expect that from hail hitting a prone body or a person trying to protect themselves? 

That is why the theory is dependent on it being a sudden and freak hailstorm.

So enormous hailstones zero in on people's skulls and kill several hundred people instantly in one volley?  It's an extraordinary claim, without much in the way of proof.

I'm not sharing the "Lightly tapping" interpretation.

It would seem that the original concept of hailstorms come from TV show done nearly 10 years ago  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/1476074/Giant-hail-killed-more-than-200-in-Himalayas.html  (Leave it to Slate and Tim to give us the most up-to-date stories).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Raz, Slate said it was hail. I don't know why you are arguing this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

It's interesting to note the differences between the Telegraph article and the Slate one.  In the Slate article all the people were hit on the head.  In the Telegraph article most had fractured skulls.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

PDH

Oddly enough (at least until I see the physical anthropology analysis of the wounds), I am with Raz on this one.  One would think that falling bodies would have wounds with blunt trauma on extremities as well if it were hail.  Unless it was an immediate wall of hail that lasted a second, it should have also left marks on the prone dead.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

:hmm: What bodies?  All that's left at this point are scattered bones, right?

btw I took a look at this lake on Google Earth and these people must have been crazy as shit to hike through there... :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on May 30, 2013, 08:19:37 PM

btw I took a look at this lake on Google Earth and these people must have been crazy as shit to hike through there... :huh:

The skeletal system is usually inside of bodies, which would have been there if the people just died.  Following this line of reasoning, blunt trauma would have happened to the bodies (and seen in the skeletal system that remains).

Still, this is Slate, and failing the physical anthropological examination I have to assume the internet article is perhaps a bit...sparse on the details.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: PDH on May 30, 2013, 08:44:32 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 30, 2013, 08:19:37 PM

The skeletal system is usually inside of bodies, which would have been there if the people just died.  Following this line of reasoning, blunt trauma would have happened to the bodies (and seen in the skeletal system that remains).

Still, this is Slate, and failing the physical anthropological examination I have to assume the internet article is perhaps a bit...sparse on the details.
I thought of execution first, but if it was indeed an execution, why leave them as they lay?  Why leave the bodies right on the spot, no mass grave, no taking their weapons&stuff?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Raz it's very unlikely that 9th century Indians were all killed by a maniacal mace attack from a 19th century Albanian tryrant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 30, 2013, 08:52:18 PM
I confess. I went back in time and shit in their food.

None of your normal types would leave that kind of marks on the bones.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

It must have been a full strenght company of balearic slingers, with at least an experience level of 3.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 30, 2013, 08:52:18 PM
I confess. I went back in time and shit in their food.

None of your normal types would leave that kind of marks on the bones.

Well that's why we don't see evidence of this more often.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on June 03, 2013, 06:42:02 PM
It must have been a full strenght company of balearic slingers, with at least an experience level of 3.
:lol: :nerd:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point