And we're back!

Main Menu

Controversial same-sex case

Started by 11B4V, May 25, 2013, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2013, 09:57:46 AM
Sounds about right to me.

Well maybe I should take my family and GTFO since it appears we all have a almost assured chance of being raped if we remain.  America: Land of the Rapists.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 09:52:18 AM
Maybe but that would be pretty mind blowing to me and I spent years working with sexual abuse victims.

Then you more than anybody else knows that where there is one victim, there are more from the same offender.  DOJ says 1 in 6 US women are the victim of a sex offense or attempted sex offense in their lifetime.

QuoteThat would mean that reported rates of rape/sexual assault/abuse are being under-reported (not arrested or convicted or anything just reported) by at least a factor of 5. Am I to accept that instead of 1 in 6 women being raped or sexually assaulted during her lifetime the actual number is well over 70%?  Or that, for some reason, these women are reporting they are being raped or sexually assaulted but under-reporting the number of occurances?  That a significant percentage of American men are committing rape on at least an annual basis?

There was the big stink here in Baltimore a couple years ago--which I posted about--regarding the BPD's under-reporting of rape cases. And they aren't the only ones.

QuoteLast July, a lengthy investigation by The Baltimore Sun revealed that police in that city were ignoring rape claims and refusing to pass them on to investigators.

Before the newspaper's exhaustive investigation in June, reported rape cases in Baltimore were down by 15 percent for the year. But a headline in this morning's Baltimore Sun reads that reports of rapes in the city are actually up by 20 percent this year, a sharp increase since new police procedures were sparked by the Baltimore Sun investigation.

A similar investigation by the Philadelphia Inquirer in 2000 revealed that the police department in that city "downgraded" rapes for nearly two decades, and secretly dumped thousands of cases of rape with hardly any investigation.

Tracy told Senators today that police departments in several big cities, including St. Louis, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Cleveland and New York are employing similar tactics "to sweep reports of rape under the rug."

And don't forget the half million rape kits that have been collected were never tested across the country. 

QuoteNon-governmental organisations (NGOs) and media investigative reports have found rape kits in many jurisdictions nationwide, including:

1,100 in Albuquerque
2,100 in Birmingham
1,200 in Cincinnati
5,600 in Detroit
3,800 in Houston
4,000 across the state of Illinois
12,500 in Los Angeles
16,000 in New York City (c. 2003; now eliminated)
4,100 in Phoenix
1,050 across the state of Rhode Island
11,100 in San Antonio

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2013, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 29, 2013, 08:53:46 AM
Please show me where in this thread I am defending pedophiles.

As this thread doesn't have any European film directors drugging and assraping little kids, I'll have to show you some other threads.

Forget it, Jay.  It's Warsaw.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Assuming ~50 year period during a woman's lifespan when rape is most likely, you'd need 500,000 unique women raped per year in order to meet the 1 in 6 level.  In order for 70% of women to be raped in their lifetime that goes up to 2.1 million.  That's not incidences of rape, that's the number of women each year that were raped for the first time.  The actual number of rapes would probably have to be 2-3 times higher than that.  That's ridiculously high, and would probably require either many dedicated men trying to get to those numbers or a whole different culture in the US than actually exists.

derspiess

Does sexual assault include grabbing a girl's ass?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2013, 11:49:13 AM

I think grabbing somebody is technically assault, so I think so.  But this is one of those gray areas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

You see where Beyonce got her ass slapped in Denmark? I'd make that ass go numb.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

It most certainly does! :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 10:02:18 AM

Well maybe I should take my family and GTFO since it appears we all have a almost assured chance of being raped if we remain.  America: Land of the Rapists.

Hide your kids. Hide your wife.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on May 29, 2013, 12:31:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 10:02:18 AM

Hide your kids. Hide your wife.

I'm no longer gay. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 09:52:18 AM
Maybe but that would be pretty mind blowing to me and I spent years working with sexual abuse victims.

That would mean that reported rates of rape/sexual assault/abuse are being under-reported (not arrested or convicted or anything just reported) by at least a factor of 5. Am I to accept that instead of 1 in 6 women being raped or sexually assaulted during her lifetime the actual number is well over 70%?  Or that, for some reason, these women are reporting they are being raped or sexually assaulted but under-reporting the number of occurances?  That a significant percentage of American men are committing rape on at least an annual basis?

Not 70%, but not 16%, either. More like 30-35%.

Link

QuoteSexual violence affects women disproportionately, the researchers found. One-third of women said they had been victims of a rape, beating or stalking, or a combination of assaults.

The researchers defined rape as completed forced penetration, forced penetration facilitated by drugs or alcohol, or attempted forced penetration.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 11:51:38 AM

I think grabbing somebody is technically assault, so I think so.  But this is one of those gray areas.

:huh:

How is that a "gray area"?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 29, 2013, 01:26:16 PM
Not 70%, but not 16%, either. More like 30-35%.

I was discussing a hypothetical there.

QuoteNot 70%, but not 16%, either. More like 30-35%.

The article says it is 1 in 5, or 20%.  The 1/3rd counts a few other things.

The sorta scary part is is that those numbers are actually down from the past.