Started by Jacob, May 24, 2013, 01:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 24, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
About time the Chinese start shouldering some of the burden, right?

Most countries that provide troops for UN peacekeeping deployments do so at a profit.

I imagine China is already making contributions to peacekeeping budgets.

CountDeMoney

I'd like to see the Chinese deploy somewhere where they can get some operational combat experience, like in Afghanistan after we leave.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2013, 01:47:50 PM
I'd like to see the Chinese deploy somewhere where they can get some operational combat experience, like in Afghanistan after we leave.

I could go for that.  Chicoms vs. Taliban on TV FTW.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on May 24, 2013, 02:31:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2013, 01:47:50 PM

I could go for that.  Chicoms vs. Taliban on TV FTW.

Won't happen.  After we leave, Chinese companies will happily run their copper(or whatever) mines, allow the Taliban to grow/smuggle opium while paying them for protection, and live in toxic harmony.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 24, 2013, 02:31:28 PM
Chicoms vs. Taliban on TV FTW.

I'm sure the Chinese could match the Taliban brutality for brutality, but they'd definitely get their shit pushed in by an asymmetrical opponent.

Viking

I can't help but think the Chinese will appreciate us paying for them to corrupt the local leadership to help them secure access to Mali's natural resources. Why do I think that? Well that's because that is what they do in all other African countries. Just without us paying for their presence.

However, I suppose we can't stop them and we really are hoping that China some day will step up and be a responsible Great Power.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on May 24, 2013, 02:53:43 PM
I can't help but think the Chinese will appreciate us paying for them to corrupt the local leadership to help them secure access to Mali's natural resources. Why do I think that? Well that's because that is what they do in all other African countries. Just without us paying for their presence.

However, I suppose we can't stop them and we really are hoping that China some day will step up and be a responsible Great Power.

Yeah, that's kind of how I see it. It's just another step in the Chinese play for Africa, now with boots on the ground.

Maybe I'm just too cynical.

CountDeMoney

The Chinese will eventually learn what the Americans, the Soviets and the Europeans before them all learned the hard way:  that Africa is a money sink and dealing with its governments are more trouble than it's worth, regardless of all the natural resources they want to hoover.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2013, 03:06:52 PM
The Chinese will eventually learn what the Americans, the Soviets and the Europeans before them all learned the hard way:  that Africa is a money sink and dealing with its governments are more trouble than it's worth, regardless of all the natural resources they want to hoover.

There are plenty of resource extraction companies making very good money in Africa.

The interesting thing will be to see how China responds to the first nationalization or "renegotiation of terms."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2013, 03:10:49 PM
There are plenty of resource extraction companies making very good money in Africa.

Companies, yes; but it's a matter of time before Chinese development starts moving beyond TNCs and try to go the client state route to protect their people.

QuoteThe interesting thing will be to see how China responds to the first nationalization or "renegotiation of terms."

That's not too far away, once some of those political parties taking anti-Chinese stances start winning some elections.

Grey Fox

China is doing one thing different tho. It's also bringing with them thousands upon thousands of workers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

Quote from: Jacob on May 24, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22650668

About time the Chinese start shouldering some of the burden, right?
Fuk that. This is chinese imperialism.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"