And we're back!

Main Menu

Sweden goes French again

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 24, 2013, 06:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Cars burning in the suburbs...  :hmm: :frog:
Can't blame it on Bernadotte of course!
The Brain and  his beloved animals (most important) are safe I hope in a calculated guess. :)

Is it overblown a bit as in 2005 for me in Paris where I couldn't see any real " OMFG Paris is burning!" stuff and had to rely on TV?
Or more like in London?

Some Stockholm suburbs are the new Malmöstan or what?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/24/stockholm-rioting-continues-fifth-night?INTCMP=SRCH

QuotePolice in Stockholm are to seek reinforcements after youths set cars ablaze and threw stones at police for a fifth night running, officials said.

About 30 cars were set on fire in poorer districts in north-western and south-western parts of the Swedish capital on Thursday night, with rioters causing widespread damage to property, including schools. However, a police spokesman said the overnight violence was less intense than in previous nights.

Despite Sweden's reputation for equality, the rioting has exposed a faultline between a well-off majority and a minority, often young people with immigrant backgrounds, who cannot find work, lack education and feel marginalised.

"In terms of extent, it is a little less, a little quieter," said the police spokesman, Kjell Lindgren. Eight people, mostly in their early 20s, were detained during the night.

He said police planned to request reinforcements from other areas to help deal with the rioting as well as upcoming football matches and the wedding of Princess Madeleine, third in line to the throne, on 8 June.

He said the police needed to be prepared to maintain a heavy presence on the streets. "We will do that for days, weeks, as long as it is necessary," he said.

The violence appears to have been prompted by the death of a 69-year-old man shot by police this month in Husby, now the centre of the rioting.

One recent government study showed that up to a third of young people aged 16 to 29 in some of the most-deprived areas of Sweden's big cities neither study nor have a job.

The gap between rich and poor in Sweden is growing faster than in any other major nation, according to the OECD, although absolute poverty remains uncommon.

Some Guardian blogger/journo defends the limited coverage:

QuoteOn Woolwich, British media could learn from Swedish riots coverage
It brings its own problems but Swedish media's refusal to obsess over violent incidents may reduce the chance they will spread

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/23/woolwich-media-swedish-riots?INTCMP=SRCH

That's one of the arguments which led Sarkozy then Valls stopping the publicising of burned cars on the news. Not that the phenomenon disappeared, of course.

Crazy_Ivan80

I was wondering how long it would take before this topic came up.

Sweden seems to be reaping the fruits of its disastrous migration policies

Brazen

It's because Sweden exported all its fictional detectives.

Syt

I trust that Hortlund is on the forefront of fighting those rabble rousers and breeding any kind of resistance out of young Swedes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Brazen on May 24, 2013, 09:24:53 AM
It's because Sweden exported all its fictional detectives.

I laughed

Admiral Yi

Wonder what our old friend the Cheese Kurd is up to.

The Brain

As you suspected I am safe in a solidly middle class area of Stockholm. :)

It's a bit ridiculous that the cops won't do their job. Why the fuck are we paying them?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on May 24, 2013, 03:19:06 PM

It's a bit ridiculous that the cops won't do their job. Why the fuck are we paying them?

Didn't these fuckers start rioting precisely because the police were doing their job?

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on May 24, 2013, 03:33:24 PM

Didn't these fuckers start rioting precisely because the police were doing their job?

Unlike Lee Van Cleef Swedish police, when paid, don't always see the job through.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on May 24, 2013, 03:33:24 PM

A Crazy man with a machete attacked the police, the police shot the guy, the populace rioted.

There was a pre-existing history of hostility between the police and the <slargos>sand-niggers</slargos> so like with the LA riots this was the spark that lit the tinder.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

I've been seeing some of this on the news, riots in Stockholm, which were or are pretty bad from what I've heard.

11B4V

Damn immigrants.  :glare:

QuoteOne recent government study showed up to a third of young people aged 16 to 29 in some of the most deprived areas of Sweden's big cities neither study nor have a job.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/24/18466766-sweden-riots-cops-seek-reinforcements-us-citizens-warned?lite
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Vricklund

Quote from: 11B4V on May 24, 2013, 07:56:04 PM
Damn immigrants.  :glare:
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/24/18466766-sweden-riots-cops-seek-reinforcements-us-citizens-warned?lite

[snip]The gap between rich and poor in Sweden is growing faster than in any other major nation, according to the OECD, though absolute poverty remains uncommon.[/snip]

It's been the case for the last 20 years and pretty much sums it up. What's strange is that us with jobs, that got the recent tax cuts and subsidies, all sit in our own homes with newly renovated kitchens going :huh:. Why are they out burning cars when they should be at home drinking champagne and eating a nice pecorino with fig marmelade?

It seems you can't have it all...

The Brain

In Sweden's situation a growing gap is a good thing. The gap has been far too narrow far too long.

Liep

Quote from: Vricklund on May 26, 2013, 06:17:44 AM
[snip]The gap between rich and poor in Sweden is growing faster than in any other major nation, according to the OECD, though absolute poverty remains uncommon.[/snip]

It's been the case for the last 20 years and pretty much sums it up. What's strange is that us with jobs, that got the recent tax cuts and subsidies, all sit in our own homes with newly renovated kitchens going :huh:. Why are they out burning cars when they should be at home drinking champagne and eating a nice pecorino with fig marmelade?

It seems you can't have it all...

You gotta love Generation Friværdi. :hug:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk