News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bridge Collapses in Washington State

Started by jimmy olsen, May 23, 2013, 11:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Watching the live coverage, apparently a truck hauling oversized cargo crashed into a pillar or something like that, which caused the collapse.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/23/18456081-bridge-collapses-in-washington-state-cars-people-in-water?lite

QuoteBy Andrew Rafferty and Justin Kirschner, NBC News

A bridge along Interstate-5 in Washington State collapsed on Thursday evening, leaving at least two cars and some people submerged in water, according to Washington State Patrol.

It was unclear how many people were in the Skagit River, the waterway in northern Washington that the four-lane bridge crossed.

The incident happened around 7 p.m. local time, and traffic has been closed in both directions.

NBC Seattle affiliate KING5 reported that traffic was significantly backed up in both directions. I-5 is the main freeway that runs along the West Coast.

The bridge was built in 1955 and was listed as "structurally obsolete" by the National Bridge Inventory in its most recent assessment.  In a 2010 evaluation, the group said the bridge is "somewhat better than minimum adequacy to tolerate being left in place as is."

However the bridge did not make the Washington Department of Transportation's list of "structurally deficient bridges."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Why the fuck is this news, especially after seeing the picture of the "bridge"?

I guess I will start posting threads with local news from Warsaw. Like a car crash or something.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 24, 2013, 12:30:41 AM
Why the fuck is this news, especially after seeing the picture of the "bridge"?

I guess I will start posting threads with local news from Warsaw. Like a car crash or something.

Then dont read the fucking thread.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

A bridge collapses, Timmay gets scooped, Marty gets bitchy.

A complete evening.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2013, 01:17:31 AM

A complete evening.
Not yet.  We need a Seedy animal angle on it.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on May 24, 2013, 12:30:41 AM
Why the fuck is this news

Dunno, Marti. I'm sure your moving thread is more newsworthy.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

I'm pretty surprised no-one was killed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2013, 12:38:57 PM

A complete evening.

And Euro/Canadian outrage.

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 24, 2013, 02:22:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2013, 12:38:57 PM

A complete evening.

And Euro/Canadian outrage.

I put the Canadian outrage of being inconvenienced getting to Seattle in the proper thread.