News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Germany most popular country in the world

Started by Syt, May 23, 2013, 06:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2013, 01:59:15 PM
I didn't know about the Canadian greenery sins. I think Canadians get so much hate because it is the land of the Quebecois, who are as annoying as the French, but without all the sophistication and culture.

WE DO OUR PART.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I didn't know about the Canadian greenery sins. I think Canadians get so much hate because it is the land of the Quebecois, who are as annoying as the French, but without all the sophistication and culture.

Hard to say for sure without more numbers, but I suspect most of the Canada-hate in the survey was general anti-Western sentiment.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

If the poll was an EU poll as it appears to be I'd guess the 15% who view Iran positively are the 15% who view Canada and probably every other Western nation negatively. Probably Muslim immigrants who hate all States that aren't governed by Muslims.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 23, 2013, 12:20:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2013, 10:47:13 AM
Once again American ignorance of the world around them is astounding.

Canada has taken a big hit in Europe over the years related to enviornmental issues.  First we were big baddies because we cut down our trees.  Then we were big baddies for hunting seals.  Now we are big baddies because we are producing oil from the Oil Sands.

Now you can go back to your myopic view of the world.

It sounds like you're talking about a lot of issues that probably get a lot of press attention in Canada

Actually, wrong again.  We find out about it when people start doing silly things like instuting trade sanctions and so forth against us and then we find out the basis is the kind of things I referred to.  You are correct that we should be more proactive about such things.   But that is all you are correct about.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 23, 2013, 07:30:19 AM
I'm surprised Germany would outrank Canada.
Unlimited. Speed. Limits.

That's what it takes to take the #1 spot.  How can anyone resist this?  When people speak of Germany, they don't talk about the nude beaches, it's warm climate or the quality of its sausages.  No, they talk about these authobahns and their unilimited speed limits.  They speak of the Oktoberfest too, but we got similar events all accross Quebec, so it can't be that ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Until they get to an internet forum with a politics section, 99,99% of the world's population outside of France, Belgium and Switzerland have no idea what Quebec is, let alone the language we speak.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2013, 10:34:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2013, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2013, 10:26:45 AM
Wow, Britain is popular. :blink:

Why wouldn't it be?

Centuries of grasping imperialism, racism, and arrogance?  I mean I do not hold it against them but it is sort of funny how few people still do.

You say this in a thread in which the topic is that Germany is now the most popular country in the world?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2013, 10:20:50 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2013, 10:03:45 AM
How the fuck is China's overall rating positive?

Outside of the West and Japan, I think they are pretty much liked. They are definitely much more popular in Africa than the US is.
China is not liked in Vietnam, the Philippines, or Korea either. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 23, 2013, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 23, 2013, 07:30:19 AM
I'm surprised Germany would outrank Canada.
Unlimited. Speed. Limits.

That's what it takes to take the #1 spot.  How can anyone resist this?  When people speak of Germany, they don't talk about the nude beaches, it's warm climate or the quality of its sausages.  No, they talk about these authobahns and their unilimited speed limits.  They speak of the Oktoberfest too, but we got similar events all accross Quebec, so it can't be that ;)

Autobahn was very disappointing.  Sure there is no speed limit, but it is so congested that you could hardly just let 'er rip. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I rode on the autobahn doing about 140 mph.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2013, 03:46:25 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 23, 2013, 12:20:40 PM
Once again American ignorance of the world around them is astounding.

Canada has taken a big hit in Europe over the years related to enviornmental issues.  First we were big baddies because we cut down our trees.  Then we were big baddies for hunting seals.  Now we are big baddies because we are producing oil from the Oil Sands.

Now you can go back to your myopic view of the world.

It sounds like you're talking about a lot of issues that probably get a lot of press attention in Canada

Actually, wrong again.  We find out about it when people start doing silly things like instuting trade sanctions and so forth against us and then we find out the basis is the kind of things I referred to.  You are correct that we should be more proactive about such things.   But that is all you are correct about.

I don't know. I mean apparently according to wiki my government has been caring about things regarding softwood and Canada but I bet if a poll was taken around the US, there wouldn't be that many people aware of that / view Canada negatively because of it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Don't forget missing the Kyoto emissions reduction metrics as well.  Nice effort there of showing no effort.

grumbler

Quote from: Gups on May 23, 2013, 11:18:23 AM
I don't think many people are aware of Canada's alleged sins against greenery. Canada is more likely to be disliked due to Celine Dion and Justing Bieber They probably don't have much of a view one way or the other.

You challenge CC's myopic view of the world.  I suggest that now you can go back to your myopic view of the world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 23, 2013, 06:08:25 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2013, 10:20:50 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2013, 10:03:45 AM
How the fuck is China's overall rating positive?

Outside of the West and Japan, I think they are pretty much liked. They are definitely much more popular in Africa than the US is.
China is not liked in Vietnam, the Philippines, or Korea either. 

Nor India, Thailand, Kazakhstan, nor Russia. 

China seems fairly popular in the Middle East and South America as well as, as has been noted, Africa.  The further from China you get, the more positive the view.  Especially if you have resources they desire to lock down for the long term (but don't claim as their own possessions).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"