News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Germany most popular country in the world

Started by Syt, May 23, 2013, 06:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on May 23, 2013, 09:45:39 AM
I've only ever been to Germany on a long weekend in Berlin, but I'd certainly like to see more of the country. Germans are probably the most British-like foreigners I've ever encountered, in terms of appearance and personality. And beer and kebab consumption.

Just can't get a grip on the language, though, think I first encountered it too late in life. Why don't you export some subtitled crime dramas to give me a start?

A bit cold for my tastes but otherwise yeah the brief periods I've had in Germany have been pretty nice - particularly as a non-German speaker (outside of mild pleasantries).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2013, 10:26:45 AM
Wow, Britain is popular. :blink:

Yep.  People love Britain far more than Britain loves itself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2013, 10:23:08 AM
Yeah?  I have not seen any regional breakdowns.

What is puzzling to me is why India is so disliked.

Lots of rape stories recently have marred India's reputation

The Brain

I don't know about Britain. I love England.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2013, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2013, 10:26:45 AM
Wow, Britain is popular. :blink:

Why wouldn't it be?

Centuries of grasping imperialism, racism, and arrogance?  I mean I do not hold it against them but it is sort of funny how few people still do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 23, 2013, 07:30:19 AM
I mean who could seriously have any beef against Canada? Aside from the fact it's as obscure and irrelevant as San Marino or Liechtenstein, of the people that know Canada exists I think all would have benign views on it.

Once again American ignorance of the world around them is astounding.

Canada has taken a big hit in Europe over the years related to enviornmental issues.  First we were big baddies because we cut down our trees.  Then we were big baddies for hunting seals.  Now we are big baddies because we are producing oil from the Oil Sands.

Now you can go back to your myopic view of the world.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2013, 10:47:13 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 23, 2013, 07:30:19 AM
I mean who could seriously have any beef against Canada? Aside from the fact it's as obscure and irrelevant as San Marino or Liechtenstein, of the people that know Canada exists I think all would have benign views on it.

Canada has taken a big hit in Europe over the years related to enviornmental issues.  First we were big baddies because we cut down our trees.  Then we were big baddies for hunting seals.  Now we are big baddies because we are producing oil from the Oil Sands.

Welcome to the club.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2013, 11:11:47 AM
Welcome to the club.

Yeah, the surprising thing is that even after all the bad press we have recieved in Euroland we still rated so high.

Gups

I don't think many people are aware of Canada's alleged sins against greenery. Canada is more likely to be disliked due to Celine Dion and Justing Bieber They probably don't have much of a view one way or the other.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on May 23, 2013, 09:50:16 AM
Oh, and having sworn to not mention the war, every old boy in the City came up to my dad and asked him if he'd been there during his national service  :lol:

Our series get exported to the likes of China, Africa and the likes (Derrick, Alarm für Cobra 11, Der Alte, etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2013, 10:47:13 AM

It sounds like you're talking about a lot of issues that probably get a lot of press attention in Canada when very, very small numbers of people outside of Canada are upset about it but I'd wager 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population of the rest of the world knows absolutely nothing about. Sort of like the big kerfluffle over the softwood lumber stuff, a  technical trade dispute virtually no one in America knows about that the Canadians assume we cared about as much as they did.  :huh: