News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Marty's Moving Thread

Started by Martinus, May 23, 2013, 02:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So I decided to make one thread for all my moving-related posts, since I don't want to start a new thread every time I am trying to get a new bed or a coffee table.

As you may recall, two and a half years ago I bought a new 2-bedroom flat in a new appartment building, and in November last year I started fitting it out in November last year. Now, the fucking long wait is finally over.

I already have all the stuff you need a construction team for done (walls, tiles, floors, bathrooms fully fitted out, lighting etc.) and now I am waiting for kitchen furniture/appliances (ETA 3 June) and hall/living room wardrobes/book shelves (ETA late June) done. Once this is done I am going to get both bedrooms furnished.

But since I can't stand my old flat any more and everything starts to break down, I bought a mattress to sleep on and decided to move in this weekend. Wish me luck. :P

Martinus

Here's how my "kitchen" currently looks like, featuring two pieces of furniture I absolutely need to survive:

Martinus

And the mattress (to all Fireblades out there, yes I intend to remove the foil before I sleep on it :P)

MadBurgerMaker

I think I like your bedroom floor there, but I can't really see detail.  I've been thinking about pulling my carpet and replacing it with wood, but the cost is rather prohibitive at the moment due to the amount of sqft involved (like, it might never get done). 

Did you ever decide on a bed?

Syt

Since this is a "moving thread" it would be funny if someone moved it to the back room. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 23, 2013, 02:53:13 AM
I think I like your bedroom floor there, but I can't really see detail.  I've been thinking about pulling my carpet and replacing it with wood, but the cost is rather prohibitive at the moment due to the amount of sqft involved (like, it might never get done). 

Did you ever decide on a bed?

Not yet - I probably will wait to have the wardrobe in my bedroom installed first and/or have the bed made to order together with the wardrobe - that way I avoid the risk of spending now a lot of cash on it and then finding out it does not match the rest of the room.

The room is hard to get a proper picture of, as there is no good vantage point to get a panoramic picture.

Josquius

2 years? Wow. That's taking a while.

I think the word you're after is fitting it out .
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2013, 03:42:08 AM

Thanks! Will amend first post.

Grey Fox

What ya doing with the old flat?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2013, 07:59:42 AM
What ya doing with the old flat?

For the time being, renovating it (it hasn't been properly painted since I moved in 11 years ago). Then either my mum is gonna use it (the end game is that when my dad dies, she is gonna to move there full time, as it would be easier for me to take care of her if she lives just one block away, in the centre of a city, than in a huge house in the suburbs) or I am gonna rent it out.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

:(

I thought this was the Marti is taking a break from posting thread.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2013, 03:42:08 AM

Wow, that's a lot of lost potential revenue. Marty has no head for money.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2013, 10:55:53 AM

That would be quite moving.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 23, 2013, 10:55:53 AM

That would only last like 24 hours.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son