North Korea just conducted another nuclear test

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, May 25, 2009, 12:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2009, 09:35:44 PM
You know I'm begining to wonder if worries about North Korea were all wrong.  The old argument was that might become a wholesale nuke seller.  I wonder if instead they are using it as cover for an invasion of the South.  Threaten to destroy a Japanese city if the US intervenes.  Of course that's not a rational risk to make, but these guys are really strange.
The South would whip them singlehandedly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 27, 2009, 09:37:05 PM
You know I'm begining to wonder if worries about North Korea were all wrong.  The old argument was that might become a wholesale nuke seller.  I wonder if instead they are using it as cover for an invasion of the South.  Threaten to destroy a Japanese city if the US intervenes.  Of course that's not a rational risk to make, but these guys are really strange.

But the north has T-54s, those are far better than the M1-derived K1 tanks the south uses. I know this because I'm a tanker-Ranger-ninja.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Queequeg

Couldn't they come close to flattening Seou by traditional means? 35 miles from the border and one of the biggest cities in the world.

What would China's reaction be? They would stand to loose far more economicaly with a devestated South than a North?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 27, 2009, 09:37:05 PM

I didn't say this was a good idea.  But both sides in Korea dream of reuniting their country.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Meh, they should have launched their offensive on Tuesday when thunderstorms kept me locked in my hotel. Could had used the CNN entertainment. Damn inconsiderate Koreans!   :mad:

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on May 28, 2009, 01:14:43 AM
Couldn't they come close to flattening Seou by traditional means? 35 miles from the border and one of the biggest cities in the world.
The North could wipe Seoul out with conventional artillery, and that's been their plan from day one.  They didn't really need an atom bomb, but we've been helpless to prevent them from getting one because they've always had that option.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Saladin

Is there any realistic way to stop that? How many tubes do the North Koreans have?

Valmy

So...when do the Japanese and South Koreans start their own nuclear programs?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Saladin

According to Tom Clancy the Japanese already have nukes.. :P

Josquius

meh, let the N.Koreans have their nukes, its no big deal (don't tell them this of course though). They're just expending resources that could be better spent on other things.
The main worry I see is with the missiles-S.Korea is already going to get hit hard if it comes to war. With the missile programme though we've Japan coming into range...

And I second that if it came to a war S.Korea would be capable of beating the North on its own. With even a little American help its a joke. The after effects would be very interesting though.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Saladin on May 28, 2009, 08:25:25 AM

According to Tom Clancy the Japanese already have nukes.. :P
:unsure: I thought it was generally conceded that, while the Japanese don't have a nuclear arsenal and for obvious reasons are strongly opposed to the idea, they could easily build nuclear weapons if they chose to.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 28, 2009, 08:35:10 AM
meh, let the N.Koreans have their nukes, its no big deal (don't tell them this of course though).

Nuclear proliferation is not a big deal now?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Saladin on May 28, 2009, 07:55:12 AM

Is there any realistic way to stop that? How many tubes do the North Koreans have?
Around about 11,000 or so that are aimed at Seoul.  There is no realistic way of stopping them from annihilating Seoul, should they choose to do so.  Even theoretically, the only way to do so would be to preempt the entirety of the Hwangnam, Kaesong, Hwangbuk and Kangwon provinces with atomics.  Naturally, that would have deleterious effects on Seoul-Inchon as well.  If we're lucky, the wind would blow the fallout into Peking, but it's more likely, given the prevailing winds of the region, that it would pass over South Korea and likely southern Japan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2009, 08:42:33 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 28, 2009, 08:35:10 AM
meh, let the N.Koreans have their nukes, its no big deal (don't tell them this of course though).

Nuclear proliferation is not a big deal now?
Not if you're willing to sell the future of human civilization out for peace right now.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on May 28, 2009, 01:14:43 AM
They would stand to loose far more economicaly with a devestated South than a North?

It's not even close.  Trade flows with the South are around the $150 billion level and rising fast.  Meanwhile total Chinese exports to the North are around $2 billion, and they don't really get anything of value in return.

China's main interest in North Korea at this point is avoiding the scenario where millions of starving refugees flee across the border.  North Korea's sole remaining diplomatic chip of significance it its threat to die messily in the arms of the Chinese if China does not help them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson