North Korea just conducted another nuclear test

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, May 25, 2009, 12:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteNorth Korea: Nuclear Test Conducted
May 25, 2009

North Korea claimed to have successfully conducted an underground nuclear test on May 25, Reuters reported. Initial reports from South Korea suggest the detonation registered 4.5 on the Richter scale, larger than North Korea's Oct. 2006 test, which registered 3.6. The test is reported to have occurred 10-15 miles from Kilju, in northeast North Korea, where the first test was conducted. South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has called an emergency security meeting to discuss the test.

This came out about an hour ago.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

according to the news they've been launching short-range missiles too.

Dear Kim needs temper management.

Habsburg

FunkMonk

Have we already lost North Korea?  :cry:
And on Memorial Day too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Monoriu

Not the first time and won't be the last time. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2009, 08:08:34 AM
Awful news to wake up to on Memorial Day. <_<
Yet another in a long line of failures from America.

Still, you have to give Kim credit, being able to build an atomic bomb with a country populated entirely by mental invalids.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 25, 2009, 12:47:52 AM
according to the news they've been launching short-range missiles too.

Dear Kim needs temper management.

The missiles appear to be warning shots to keep aerial surveliance assets from getting too close.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habsburg

These little firecrackers Bedhead is launching are adorable.  I must say, well played by Bedhead after his apparently successful nuclear test.  People are like, wetting their pants, omg he has missles too!!!!   :lol:

Syt

North Korea Threatens Armed Strike, End to Armistice
QuoteMay 27 (Bloomberg) -- North Korea threatened military action in response to South Korea joining a program to seize weapons shipments, and said it's no longer bound by the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War.

South Korea's actions are tantamount to a "declaration of war," the official Korean Central News Agency said in a statement today. "If the armistice agreement loses its validity, the Korean peninsula will revert to a state of war."

The threats are the strongest since North Korea tested a nuclear weapon on May 25th, drawing international condemnation and the prospect of increased sanctions against Kim Jong Il's reclusive regime. South Korea yesterday joined the U.S.-led initiative to locate and seize shipments of equipment and materials used to make weapons of mass destruction.

North Korea can't guarantee the safety of ships passing through its western waters near the maritime border with the South, the KCNA statement said. South Korea's benchmark Kospi stock index fell almost 2 percent, paring earlier gains.

Under the July 27, 1953, armistice that ended the Korean War, both sides agreed to "a complete cessation of all hostilities" and pledged to accept the demarcation line that has become the most-heavily mined demilitarized zone in the world.

South Korean President Lee Myung Bak had resisted joining the anti-proliferation program until the nuclear test, even after North Korea fired a ballistic missile on April 5. His predecessor, Roh Moo Hyun, had said that joining the initiative would be too provocative.

"We will regard any intervention, searches or other minor hostile acts against our peaceful ships as an intolerable violation of our sovereign rights and will counter with an immediate and forceful military strike," KCNA said.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

citizen k

Joining the anti-proliferation program is more provocative than testing nuclear weapons?

Syt

Quote from: citizen k on May 27, 2009, 01:12:45 AM
Joining the anti-proliferation program is more provocative than testing nuclear weapons?

Why, yes. Just ask Brain.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

I'll print out that article and show it to my date in Seoul this Friday night.
Though I doubt that I'll need it.  :perv: :smoke:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help