News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the masquerade necessary?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 21, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the masquerade necessary?

Yes! The sheeple need to be kept in the dark!
7 (53.8%)
No! People need to know the truth!
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

jimmy olsen

In a lot of science fiction/urban fantasy set in the present day aliens and monsters are kept secret from the public because "they can't handle the truth". I think this is nonsense. Sure there may be some rioting at first, but people are flexible.

Being able to direct the entire strength of the nation/world against the problem whether it be the Grays or Werewolves or whatever is far better than countering them with just a handful of elite agents who have to keep everything they do secret.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Masquerade
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Go flush your head in the nearest public toilet, please.

HVC

you give people way too much credit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Yes. It is necessary to create a fictional world which is relatable yet exciting for the viewer.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2013, 08:34:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 21, 2013, 08:30:16 PM
you give people way too much credit.
Then vote yes
korea has made you all uppity. i miss old mild mannered tim :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

IRL- no. In fiction, Josq brings up a good point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

PDH

I was torn between the Turtledove option (Tim is smashed under a falling Byzantine Empire) and the Stirling option (Tim is killed by a gratuitous lesbian), then I decided to vote for the Gor option (Tim gets run over by MB in a Humvee).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2013, 08:51:29 PM
Yes. It is necessary to create a fictional world which is relatable yet exciting for the viewer.
Eh, it's equivalent to something like faking the moon landing. Covering up the Grey invasion or the supernatural is just not plausible, I can't relate to it.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

A world with monsters lurking in the shadows is more relatable than one with them in the open.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2013, 09:41:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2013, 08:51:29 PM
Eh, it's equivalent to something like faking the moon landing. Covering up the Grey invasion or the supernatural is just not plausible, I can't relate to it.

They covered up the 1847 military coup, the death of Crown Prince Edward in 1877, Finnish-Swedish war back in 1956.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 21, 2013, 10:13:04 PM
A world with monsters lurking in the shadows is more relatable than one with them in the open.
Most works of fiction set in the present don't have a handful of monsters lurking on the fringes of civilization.  They have full blown international conspiracies covering up suspicious deaths all over the place.

1 Karma Chameleon point