Moore Oklahoma Obliterated by F5 Tornado, 24 dead, at least 9 of them kids

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2013, 07:55:56 PM
I know they show up cutting a lot of checks for victims and housing for rent and damage recovery, and shitload of low interest loans for businesses.  I think farmers get something like $500K max for livestock losses and business continuity.

But I don't have a degree in Emergency Management, so how the fuck should I know.

Rent I can see, business loans I can sorta see, but why aren't farmers insuring their livestock?

CountDeMoney

I'm sure they are, but they still qualify for loans related to business losses contingent to the livestock, e.g., loss of milk production, etc.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2013, 05:14:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2013, 04:57:32 PM
This morning the radio news guy was interviewing someone from world vision or somesuch aid organization.  The news guy asked the aid person, "with such massive destruction where do they start to address all the need - lack of food, water, housing for the survivors etc etc.

She paused and said the first thing they do whenever the enter a disaster zone is pray.  So I turned stations to see if someone a bit more sane was being interviewed.  The other station had a Salvation Army volunteer on.   He seemed matter of fact in describing all the destruction and so I thought I had a good source.  But then when asked what his organization was doing on the ground to help the survivors he said they held a number of prayer vigils before they did anything else.

This is one of the reasons I carefully screen the aid agencies before donating to ensure they wont be spending money sending people to pray.

Yeah weird, though it fits right in with the Oklahoma governors' policy toward disasters:

http://newsok.com/article/3762205

OKLAHOMA CITY – In light of the sustained drought, Governor Mary Fallin today asked all Oklahomans to set aside time this Sunday, July 17, to pray for rain.
"I encourage Oklahomans of all faiths to join me this Sunday in offering their prayers for rain," Fallin said. "For the safety of our firefighters and our communities and the well-being of our crops and livestock, this state needs the current drought to come to an end. The power of prayer is a wonderful thing, and I would ask every Oklahoman to look to a greater power this weekend and ask for rain."

Secretary of Agriculture Jim Reese said he appreciated the governor's call for prayer and would be saying his own this Sunday.

"Farmers across the state are really suffering under these conditions," said Reese. "I'm glad the governor is issuing this call to prayer, and I hope it helps deliver the rain we need soon."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/oklahoma-tornado-governor-mary-fallin-91658.html

"Oklahoma City has rebounded. It has rebuilt. Oklahoma people are very strong, and they will make it through this, but we're going to need a lot of prayer and a lot of support to get back on our feet."

http://www.ontheissues.org/house/Mary_Fallin.htm

Makes perfect sense, really.

If there is a god, clearly someone in Oklahoma really pissed him off. Some serious praying is in order, or he might just send another one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2013, 11:13:05 PM

If there is a god, clearly someone in Oklahoma really pissed him off. Some serious praying is in order, or he might just send another one.
:hmm: I wonder if God published his Shit List somewhere.  That could really be useful in my line of work.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on May 21, 2013, 11:56:52 PM

:hmm: I wonder if God published his Shit List somewhere.  That could really be useful in my line of work.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2013, 05:14:16 PM
Yeah weird, though it fits right in with the Oklahoma governors' policy toward disasters:

Odd that such supposedly religious people do not really get prayer and seem to think it is some sort of magical spell.  If it were we would just pay millions of third worlders a few pennies each to pray for something each day and control the universe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 08:04:43 AM
Happy feel-good dog story, recorded live.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/05/21/37351/video-after-oklahoma-tornado-an-old-woman-rescuing/

Yeah I thought about you when I saw that.

Shame I didn't score that disaster recovery field responder gig with a certain animal welfare organization;  I'd be ramping up to get logistical assets there right about now.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Legbiter

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2013, 11:13:05 PMIf there is a god, clearly someone in Oklahoma really pissed him off. Some serious praying is in order, or he might just send another one.

Xipe Totec must be appeased.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Yet he never sends tornadoes to attack sinners in non-tornado areas :hmm:

It could have been like when God sent those Tsunamis to smash Indonesia for the sins of Bangkok Thailand.  One would think he would have just smashed Bangkok but sometimes, you know, erm...yeah I got nothing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 09:58:36 AM

Yet he never sends tornadoes to attack sinners in non-tornado areas :hmm:

No shit.  Where's the F5 I've been asking for to barrel down Wall St from Broadway to South Street?