News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How A CEO Can Wreck A Brand In One Interview

Started by garbon, May 14, 2013, 10:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviatemin/2013/05/13/abercrombie-and-fitch-v-dove-or-how-a-ceo-can-wreck-a-brand-in-1-interview-7-years-ago/

QuoteThe power of a CEO to make – or break – a brand can never be overestimated – even in an interview that took place 7 years ago.

That is just what has happened in the case of Abercrombie & Fitch: an incredibly ill-advised interview that A&F CEO Mike Jeffries granted to Salon Magazine in 2006 has just found new life on the internet. And if his comments – including that he only wants the young, beautiful and thin to wear his clothes – were insensitive and politically incorrect THEN, today they are practically an invitation to riot. Certainly, they are causing a boycott in real time.

So, what happened? As best as I can dissect it, the controversial Mr. Jeffries agreed to an interview with Salon in January of '06 to celebrate the opening of A&F's flagship store. Clearly, it was a mistake. Mr. Jeffries was dubbed "The Willie Wonka of the fashion industry" by the reporter who most assuredly could not stand him, and was then excoriated in a very long article. In that article, Mr. Jeffries told of the "secret" of A&F's newly found success: "...we go after the cool kids...a lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

And he continued from there. In fact the coverage was so bad it probably put him off the press for the rest of his career. I am sure he could not wait for the article to be forgotten, consigned to the scrapheap of old news.

But unfortunately, with the internet, embarrassing articles do not die – they just go into hibernation until they are resuscitated. And in Mr. Jeffries' case, that resuscitation came in the person of Robin Lewis, author of a book called "The New Rules of Retail," when she was being interviewed for a May 3, 2013 article on Business Insider, a web-only news outlet founded by Henry Blodget. The article, "Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses to Make Clothes for Large Women," by Ashley Lutz, begins: "Teen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't stock XXL sizes in women's clothing because they don't want overweight women wearing their brand..."

And so the entire topic came alive again, and has now gone viral, with most folks thinking that Mr. Jeffries has just made the comments recently, not 7 years ago. Facebook is roiling. The blogosphere is on fire. Change.org has started a petition to get A&F to make plus sizes. A boycott has not only been started, but is gathering steam. And the whole thing is about to explode.

Why?

Well, compare if you will, Mr. Jeffries' comments with the newest, much-heralded Dove web-only commercial, Real Beauty Sketches, which has also gone viral: 52 MILLION hits, and counting. Its mantra: "You are more beautiful than you think!"

Dove commissioned a police sketch artist to draw women as they describe themselves, and then as others describe them. The women see themselves as much less attractive, and full of defects, while others see them far more kindly. Sometimes, in fact, the drawings don't even look like they are of the same woman, and we all get to see that women can be their own worst critics.

Unless Mr. Jeffries is around, that is.

The zeitgeist of today is to promote women's self-esteem by telling them that they are beautiful inside out. (And even the Dove commercials have faced serious criticism for not being egalitarian enough...) So, imagine how the 7-year-old comments are playing in this context.

It feels like a self-esteem smack-down, Abercrombie vs. Dove. Mean, bully-boy culture (A&F) vs. a holistic, self-esteem promoting, we-can-make-the-world-a-better-place sensibility (Dove). Narcissism vs. collectivism; cruelty vs. compassion; me, me, me vs. we. And, today, Dove is winning.

My advice, besides Abercrombie admitting their time-warp dilemma and going into serious crisis and retrenchment mode RIGHT NOW? If you are not a media-savvy – and media friendly – CEO, do not let anyone, including your media advisors, put you in front of the press. Better to stay silent and let others from your company speak than to put your foot this far down your throat. You may never live it down.

And, even if you are savvy, do watch what you say, because your words may live on far past their usefulness, or appropriateness.

And then, the only alternative would be what many would love to do right now: wash Mr. Jeffries' mouth out – with Dove soap!

Pretty interesting on the lasting power of words today.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Looking back at my school years, A&F clothing was not slutty enough.

Admiral Yi

Is the claim that A&F has been crushed by a boycott?

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 10:47:27 PM
Is the claim that A&F has been crushed by a boycott?

I guess in this Forbes article.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 11:03:11 PM
I guess in this Forbes article.

I thought they were doing fine.  Article reads more like a case of wishful thinking than reporting.

Legbiter

Quote from: Ideologue on May 14, 2013, 11:00:27 PM
Mike Jeffries: a visionary?

Yes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/abercrombie-wants-thin-customers-2013-5

QuoteTeen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't stock XL or XXL sizes in women's clothing because they don't want overweight or unattractive women wearing their brand.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Sounds like clever marketing.  It's how you sucker in the Martinus types.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

If there is anything wrong with modern society it's the "fat acceptance" and similar style movements.

Unlike most other industries that have succumbed to the lowest common denominator, the fashion industry has had aspired to the ideal for a long time, embracing not the fat, ugly and disgusting masses, but the few slim, pretty and young. Unfortunately, now even this is falling under the stampede of disgusting ugly slobs.

Martinus

The author of this piece, pictured left:

No further comments are needed.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on May 15, 2013, 04:28:21 AM
If there is anything wrong with modern society it's the "fat acceptance" and similar style movements.
Like the 'gay acceptance' movement?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 15, 2013, 04:30:58 AM
The author of this piece, pictured left:

No further comments are needed.

The CEO

:)

Gups

Meh, it's not even close to Gerald Ratner's early 90s classic

"We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap"

pretty much killed his company