News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Geography of Hate - via Twitter

Started by merithyn, May 14, 2013, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Step right up and see where your favorite US city falls on the hate scale based on their tweets!

Humboldt University Map of Hate

QuoteThe Geography of Hate is part of a larger project by Dr. Monica Stephens of Humboldt State University (HSU) identifying the geographic origins of online hate speech. Undergraduate students Amelia Egle, Matthew Eiben and Miles Ross, worked to produce the data and this map as part of Dr. Stephens' Advanced Cartography course at Humboldt State University.

The data behind this map is based on every geocoded tweet in the United States from June 2012 - April 2013 containing one of the 'hate words'. This equated to over 150,000 tweets and was drawn from the DOLLY project based at the University of Kentucky. Because algorithmic sentiment analysis would automatically classify any tweet containing 'hate words' as "negative," this project relied upon the HSU students to read the entirety of tweet and classify it as positive, neutral or negative based on a predefined rubric. Only those tweets that were identified by human readers as negative were used in this analysis.

Proud to say that Champaign, IL, isn't that bad. Go an hour south and it's pretty pathetic, though.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

No matter where I am, I'm always in the most hateful city in the world.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Not surprised Baltimore's light on the map.  We don't Tweet, we shoot.

garbon

Yeah we covered this recently in the OT thread - maybe Monday?

Pretty lame map considering that once you zoom out - the whole eastern half of the country is covered in hate.

DGul said something about normative data.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

I rarely go to the OT thread. Thought it was kind of interesting. They also did a map on racist comments about Obama during the elections, I guess.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 10:19:41 PM
I rarely go to the OT thread.

You miss some good shit in there, lady.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

It's like pure Languish distilled into one small piece of the forum.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

It's like Saturday Night Live of the 1990s. Most weeks were shit, but once in a blue moon, there was a diamond. I don't have time to wait for the diamond.

fhdz

George Carlin registers his disdain that one can no longer say "cripple".
and the horse you rode in on

katmai

I'm pretty sure he can't disdain nuttin!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

The map seems to be a bit off.  You get big burst of hate from places were there are no towns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on May 14, 2013, 11:23:38 PM
George Carlin registers his disdain that one can no longer say "cripple".

You can still use it as a verb.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?