News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Decision making - head or heart?

Started by merithyn, May 14, 2013, 03:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The most important life decisions are best made with ______ ?

100% Head
1 (4.3%)
75/25% Head/Heart
10 (43.5%)
50%/50% Head/Heart
6 (26.1%)
25/75% Head/Heart
1 (4.3%)
100% Heart
2 (8.7%)
Spleen (Jaron option)
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

merithyn

I heard someone say today that people make their biggest (and arguably best) decisions with their heart. That seems like it's probably not so much that way for everyone. So what is it for you guys?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

There are no decisive processes taking place in your heart muscle.  :secret:

Valmy

Um...generally unless my heart and head are lined up my decisions fail pretty pitifully.  I favor a: holistic decision making process :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

I try to use both. Herodotus discusses the habits of the Persians and says :

"It is also their general practice to deliberate upon affairs of weight when they are drunk; and then on the morrow, when they are sober, the decision to which they came the night before is put before them by the master of the house in which it was made; and if it is then approved of, they act on it; if not, they set it aside. Sometimes, however, they are sober at their first deliberation, but in this case they always reconsider the matter under the influence of wine. "

This always made sense to me, it avoids the Scylla of undue sentimentality and the Charybdis of acting like a dessicated calculating machine.

derspiess

Meri left out a certain other organ men use to make decisions.

But I went for the second option.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 14, 2013, 03:53:22 PM

"It is also their general practice to deliberate upon affairs of weight when they are drunk; and then on the morrow, when they are sober, the decision to which they came the night before is put before them by the master of the house in which it was made; and if it is then approved of, they act on it; if not, they set it aside. Sometimes, however, they are sober at their first deliberation, but in this case they always reconsider the matter under the influence of wine. "

This always made sense to me, it avoids the Scylla of undue sentimentality and the Charybdis of acting like a dessicated calculating machine.

This is one of my favorite posts on Languish in a long while.
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 03:54:42 PM
Meri left out a certain other organ men use to make decisions.

But I went for the second option.

Yeah but that rarely results in us making our best decisions :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 14, 2013, 03:53:22 PM

Holy simulpost ... this is what I was going to say, but you preempted me. And said it better to boot.  :lol:

"I'm guessing by "head" and "heart" you mean "intellectually versus intuitively/emotionally".

Reminds me of the notion in the Histories of Herodotus that the ancient Persians never made any important decision sober without reconsidering it when drunk - and vice versa.  ;)

Seems good to me.  "
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

That clarifies why the Persians have made so few good decisions since converting to Islam.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Stomach.  If hungry, eat.  If no hungry, not eat.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 03:57:42 PM
That clarifies why the Persians have made so few good decisions since converting to Islam.

Rumi wants a word with you about that ...  :D

"Either give me more wine or leave me alone."

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on May 14, 2013, 04:01:30 PM
Stomach.  If hungry, eat.  If no hungry, not eat.

Oh fuck that noise. My stomach gets fed when I feel like it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

:huh:     :lol:     :thumbsup:

fhdz

They shoulda had a V8!

(with vodka)
and the horse you rode in on