And we're back!

Main Menu

Angelina Jolie, breastless

Started by Syt, May 14, 2013, 04:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/may/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy

QuoteAngelina Jolie reveals she has had preventive double mastectomy

Actor reveals she has had mastectomy because of gene defect that increases risk of developing disease that killed her mother

Angelina Jolie has revealed she has had a preventive double mastectomy to reduce her risk of developing breast cancer, and has gone public with the news to raise awareness.

The actor has a defective gene, BRCA1, which significantly increases her risk of developing breast cancer, the disease that killed her mother at the age of 56, she writes in the New York Times.

Jolie says she chose not to keep the decision private in the hope that other women would get gene-tested. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimise the risk," she says.

Women with a defect in BRCA1 have on average a 65% risk of developing breast cancer. Jolie says her doctors told her that her risk was 87% and that surgery had reduced it to 5%. The defect also increases the risk of ovarian cancer, which Jolie says doctors estimate is 50% for her.

The 37-year-old, who has six children – three by Brad Pitt and three adopted – finished three months of medical procedures on 27 April. She says she first had "nipple delay" to maximise the chances of saving her nipples, before breast tissue removal and, nine weeks later, reconstruction. Pitt was by her side for "every minute of the surgeries", she said.

Jolie said her children had often asked if she might get the illness that killed her mother, Marcheline Bertrand. She says now: "I can tell my children that they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.

"It is reassuring that they see nothing that makes them uncomfortable. They can see my small scars and that's it. Everything else is just Mommy, the same as she always was."

Jolie adds: "I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Caliga's been crying and didn't know why.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Dude, she'll just get implants.  No worries. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on May 14, 2013, 05:03:07 AM
Brad Pitt's like, wait, WTF?

Jennifer Aniston still has hers.

QuoteJolie says her doctors told her that her risk was 87% and that surgery had reduced it to 5%.

One would hope so.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 05:56:20 AM

I gotta say nose reduction surgery is apparently preferable to radical breast reduction surgery.

But seriously, Jolie was told that if she didn't get the surgery she would get cancer. So this was the right decision. It's not like anybody thought her breasts were real anyways.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

They were reconstructed at the same time, it's in the damn article.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I think I said before that my mother's friend had a double mastectomy and as they said they didn't have implants that small, she came out with larger breasts than before she went in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 05:56:20 AM

:yucky:

Good for Angelina. :) I'm hoping that she's also planning to get the CA125 test done every year, too. (Or that she plans to have her ovaries removed, though that comes with a lot of other issues.) Ovarian cancer is really the bigger risk since it can't be seen or easily checked for, like breast cancer, and it's far more invasive.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 07:55:52 AM
they said they didn't have implants that small
That's what I would have said too.  :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Phillip V

Quote from: Caliga on May 14, 2013, 05:36:38 AM
Dude, she'll just get implants.  No worries. :)
Is it the same?

Martinus

It really must suck to be him. He is arguably one of the sexiest men alive and when he started dating Angelina, she used to be hot. Since then she turned into a breast-less monster/skeletor.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 08:58:49 AM

It really must suck to be him. He is arguably one of the sexiest men alive and when he started dating Angelina, she used to be hot. Since then she turned into a breast-less monster/skeletor.

:hmm:

Yeah, not seeing this "monster/skeletor" that you are.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

She used to be hot, then Marty realized he was gay.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 08:58:49 AM

I'd pick Jolie over Pitt any day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.