News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Rand Paul Countdown to 2016 Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, May 12, 2013, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Bachmann needs to enter the primary race again. Pure psycho gold that one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

I was pretty done with Rand when he visited Howard University and gave an idiotic speech that showed his incredible ignorance of American History.  The students at Howard pointed this out which resulted in Rand crying afterwards how this clearly showed all black people are racist and won't let white people talk about history.  What a freaking whiner and crybaby.  Not to mention, you know, sort of raciss.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2013, 01:24:40 AM
Bachmann needs to enter the primary race again. Pure psycho gold that one.

Don't worry, she's already ramping up for 2016. She never stopped.

She's not just stupid, she's scary stupid.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2013, 10:18:27 AM
I was pretty done with Rand when he visited Howard University and gave an idiotic speech that showed his incredible ignorance of American History.  The students at Howard pointed this out which resulted in Rand crying afterwards how this clearly showed all black people are racist and won't let white people talk about history.  What a freaking whiner and crybaby.  Not to mention, you know, sort of raciss.

Wasn't familiar with that.  Link?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2013, 12:55:11 AM
I hope someone funny does run.

It's the Republicans. All they got left is funnies.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 23, 2013, 02:03:23 PM

Wasn't familiar with that.  Link?

:huh:  It got a fair bit of coverage, was generally panned even by more right-wing writers (although absolutely beat up by left wing writers).  Basically he lectured the students about all the great things Republicans had done for blacks in the past.  Party of Lincoln, that sort of thing.  Which is audience seemed to be well aware of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 23, 2013, 02:03:23 PM
Wasn't familiar with that. 

He talked about George Washington's golden teeth, how Benedict Arnold started the Bank of the United States, and how Democrats oppressed the slaves by paying them in greenbacks.   You know, the usual.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

That made me like him more. I think he was genuinely trying and just didn't quite realise that the students of Howard University know their history. I hope it doesn't put him off.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2013, 10:34:56 AM
That made me like him more. I think he was genuinely trying and just didn't quite realise that the students of Howard University know their history. I hope it doesn't put him off.

That he not only embarrassed himself with his own ignorance, but openly insulted the student body one of America's premier black universities?

I wonder about you sometimes.

Jacob

Plenty of people find rand Paul genuinely trying.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2013, 10:40:31 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2013, 10:34:56 AM

That he not only embarrassed himself with his own ignorance, but openly insulted the student body one of America's premier black universities?

I wonder about you sometimes.

Yeah what's admirable about patronizing black college students?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 26, 2013, 10:42:00 AM

Trying to do what, exactly?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2013, 10:53:09 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 26, 2013, 10:42:00 AM

Trying to do what, exactly?

What's the other meaning of that word, sir?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2013, 10:45:20 AM

Yeah what's admirable about patronizing black college students?
I don't think that was what he wanted. I think he genuinely wanted to reach out to young black voters, it wasn't all bad. He misjudged his audience, so it didn't work but I hope he carries on because I think it was genuine and I think he has potential. Incidentally I think expectations were higher for him than they would be for any other Republican precisely because he has potential.

It was also, I think, a failed attempt at persuasion. That's miles better than the Republicans who only seek to speak to black audiences to attract the praise of conservative pundits. Romney at the NAACP for example.
Let's bomb Russia!