And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2016, 12:43:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2016, 11:30:52 AM
Criminal negligence is when someone displays "wanton or reckless disregard for the lives of safety of others".

It simply doesn't apply in this case.

Maybe I was a little clumsy with the term I used.  I just thought negligence was enough to be in violation of the statute.

Well this is where I start to get out on thin ice.  The general common law is the same throughout the common law world, but individual statutes can vary in different countries.

But in general... any criminal offence (i.e. where you can go to jail) requires mens rea - a guilty mind.  You have to intend to commit an offence.  There are exceptions.  One of them is for regulatory-type offences.  It doesn't matter if you didn't realize how fast you were going, you can still get a speeding ticket.  But you can't go to jail for speeding.  It is not a criminal offence.

Another exception is for criminal negligence, as you mentioned.  This is a criminal offence.  But it is limited to situations where people's lives are at stake, and the degree of negligence has to be extremely high (such as the wanton or reckless disregard mentioned in Canada's statute).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

There was a few prosecutions of pharma executives for violation of the off-label marketing rules, under the "responsible corporate officer" doctrine a few years back.  Heavily criticized and for the most part the prosecutions fell apart.  That's the closest analogue I could think of that could apply here.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2016, 12:43:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2016, 11:30:52 AM
Criminal negligence is when someone displays "wanton or reckless disregard for the lives of safety of others".

It simply doesn't apply in this case.

Maybe I was a little clumsy with the term I used.  I just thought negligence was enough to be in violation of the statute.

You know the FBI actually put out a statement about this, right?

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/statement-by-fbi-director-james-b.-comey-on-the-investigation-of-secretary-hillary-clintons-use-of-a-personal-e-mail-system

QuoteIn looking back at our investigations into mishandling or removal of classified information, we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts. All the cases prosecuted involved some combination of: clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice. We do not see those things here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2016, 12:43:43 PMMaybe I was a little clumsy with the term I used.  I just thought negligence was enough to be in violation of the statute.

nah, because then some IT guy could possibly be charged for making a simple mistake. or if someone accidentally sent an email to the wrong person, etc. people make mistakes all the time, so criminal law typically raises the threshold to something more than mere negligence. at least with most crimes.

derspiess

Okay, the term I was trying to enunciate was gross negligence, which is punishable. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Gross negligence typically is also not punishable criminally, absent physical harm to a person, or endangerment of a minor.

As a libertarian I would expect derspiess to be more sensitive to the problems of incorporating loosened intent standards for criminalizing regulatory violations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Ooh burn.

But it is punishable, by fine and/or up to 10 years in prison.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Ever the fan of democracy...:D

QuoteBernie Sanders sent out an email to his supporters urging them to sign a petition that would add a proposed amendment to the current draft of the Democratic party's platform. The amendment: A permanent ban on putting the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership to a vote.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

CAN WE KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE TPP THING ALREADY
FUCK

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2016, 02:05:08 PM

I just figure she will have a more competent staff and handlers once she is President. One would hope anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2016, 06:13:38 PM

I just figure she will have a more competent staff and handlers once she is President. One would hope anyway.

Funny, people are saying the same about Trump :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2016, 07:31:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2016, 06:13:38 PM

Funny, people are saying said the same about Trump Dubya :hmm:

Admiral Yi

I think it should be abundantly clear by this point that Donald has no interest in taking advice from anyone.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".