News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Phillip V on June 26, 2016, 11:04:28 AM
Clinton's lead steadily grows over Trump nationally and battleground states.  (example: Florida)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/elections/

I bet you can find another poll that states otherwise. I hope the gop will not try and pull a fast one at the convention.

I do not want them to rob me of my entertainment on election night.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 26, 2016, 11:40:24 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on June 26, 2016, 11:04:28 AM
Clinton's lead steadily grows over Trump nationally and battleground states.  (example: Florida)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/elections/

I bet you can find another poll that states otherwise. I hope the gop will not try and pull a fast one at the convention.

I do not want them to rob me of my entertainment on election night.

You know how RCP works right? They just aggregate all the polling that is being done. Like if you click on that link it is just a list of different polls and results.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Honesty I don't think Donald Trump would be that bad as the US president. I can't see him fucking up the USA more than our leaders have in the UK.

Phillip V

Quote from: PJL on June 26, 2016, 12:02:02 PM
Honesty I don't think Donald Trump would be that bad as the US president. I can't see him fucking up the USA more than our leaders have in the UK.

Have you forgotten George W. Bush?

garbon

In light of recent events, my mother, a Republican since the 70s, is now a Democrat! :punk:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Trump actually scares me most on foreign policy, because the President's power has a lot of limitations on domestic policy. If he were to win he'd likely win with a Republican Congress, but the Republican Congress frankly has domestic policy goals somewhat out of step with Trump's, and they wouldn't be a rubber stamp. Even W. Bush only had a rubber stamp from Congress briefly after 9/11, and often failed in initiatives when he tried things that didn't match up with what the Republican Congresses that existed during his Presidency preferred. They blocked immigration reform and several other significant Bush domestic policy initiatives.

But our constitution makes the President far more powerful on foreign policy, tantamount to a monarch in fact with few checks (other than he can't get involved in wars without congressional funding, and can't enter the most powerful types of treaties without congress.)

But Trump has suggested things like:

1. U.S. disengagement from NATO (he hasn't said it in just those words, but the words he use would all but necessitate this as the outcome.)
2. U.S. disengagement from traditional Pacific allies, to replace our troop commitments with aiding South Korea and Japan's acquisition of nuclear weapons. Which Japan would likely/definitely refuse, but I'm not sure about South Korea if it faced true abandonment from the U.S. military and was told "here's some nukes."
3. Taking actions that would essentially result in a trade war with China.

These would all cause grave consequences.

Valmy

That bad compared to what?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

I think Trump would be about as bad as a President could possibly be...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Trump cannot be trusted with power.  It is very important for those in power to know humility and to exercise restraint.  None of these are Trump's strong points.  Give him some money and media attention, and he already runs amok with wild statements.  Can't imagine what he'll do if he is given the nuclear switch and the most powerful military in the world. 

jimmy olsen

David Cameron just had the biggest fuckup in 77 years for a PM. I'm confident that Trump could match, or exceed that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.