And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2016, 07:41:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2016, 04:48:57 PM
Quote"I do not think a Muslim ban is in our country's interest. It's not reflective of our principles not just as a party but as a country." - House speaker Paul Ryan

"I do not agree with Donald Trump's call for a blanket ban on Muslims entering the United States - it is not what this country stands for." - Alaska senator Lisa Murkowski

"You're congratulating yourself because 50 people are dead this morning in a horrific tragedy?" - Meghan McCain

"I've run out of adjectives when it comes to Mr. Trump." - South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham

"But we're endorsing him anyway."

Well, he's not Hillary. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Phillip V on June 14, 2016, 07:42:41 PM
Washington, DC voting results coming in!

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/district-of-columbia

Wait... Rubio won the DC Primary? :lol:

And el Trumpo came in third? :D

I know, I know... the vote totals are miniscule when compared to the Democratic side.  It just amused me anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2016, 10:03:51 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on June 14, 2016, 07:42:41 PM
Washington, DC voting results coming in!

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/district-of-columbia

Wait... Rubio won the DC Primary? :lol:

And el Trumpo came in third? :D

I know, I know... the vote totals are miniscule when compared to the Democratic side.  It just amused me anyways.

Republicans held a small convention/conference at a single hotel back in March 12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_the_District_of_Columbia,_2016#Republican_convention

Jacob

So apparently Trump suspects that US soldiers stole money that were going to Iraqi reconstruction: https://youtu.be/DoAriULv1P8

Also I find this interview with senior campaign staff (two campaign managers and a communications director) from the Rubio, Cruz, and Bush primary campaigns fairly interesting.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2016, 11:13:11 PM
So apparently Trump suspects that US soldiers stole money that were going to Iraqi reconstruction: https://youtu.be/DoAriULv1P8

Also I find this interview with senior campaign staff (two campaign managers and a communications director) from the Rubio, Cruz, and Bush primary campaigns fairly interesting.

"Who does Trump end up picking as a running mate? Dennis Rodman? The ShamWow guy?"

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2016, 11:30:45 PM
"Who does Trump end up picking as a running mate? Dennis Rodman? The ShamWow guy?"

Indeed :)

Jacob

Apparently Steven Hoffenberg submitted an FEC filing stating his intention to run a pro-Trump SuperPAC to the tune of $50,000,000.

Of course Hoffenberg is just coming off a 20 year conviction for running a huge ($460 million) Ponzi scheme (described here)

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this... is this an example of a grifter trying to ride Trump's coat-tails to some quick cash? Or is Trump genuinely receiving significant support from a convicted perpetrator of major financial fraud?

11B4V

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-us-troop-stole-millions-and-millions-in-iraq-224352
Nothing to misconstrue here
Donald Trump rang in the Army's 241st birthday in unusual fashion on Tuesday — by calling attention to theft of government funds by American soldiers in Iraq.

"Iraq, crooked as hell. How about bringing baskets of money — millions and millions of dollars — and handing it out?," Trump said at an evening rally. "I want to know who were the soldiers that had that job, because I think they're living very well right now, whoever they may be."
Story Continued Below

Trump appeared to be referring to the many known instances in which members of the American military members skimmed U.S. government cash intended for reconstruction projects or otherwise engaged in theft or bribery. According to a 2015 report by the Center for Public Integrity, a nonpartisan watchdog group, "at least 115 enlisted personnel and military officers [were] convicted since 2005 of committing theft, bribery, and contract-rigging crimes valued at $52 million during their deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq."

Campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks said the comments did not refer to theft by Americans. "Mr. Trump was referring to Iraqi soldiers," she wrote in an email. But the last time Trump touched on the subject, during a rally last fall in New Hampshire, he also appeared to suggest that American soldiers had stolen U.S. government money — both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

At a Sept. 30 really in Keene, during remarks on Obama's withdrawal from Iraq and Iraqi government corruption, Trump segued abruptly into discussion of the cash spent by American authorities occupying Iraq and Afghanistan.
"They didn't really want to fight for Iraq because Iraq is a corrupt government, you know. Remember when they were handing 50 million dollars of cash? Cash! They were going through Afghanistan paying off, I want to know who were the soldiers that are carrying cash of 50 million dollars? Cash! How stupid are we?," Trump said. "I wouldn't be surprised those soldiers, I wouldn't be surprised if the cash didn't get there, I have to be honest."

Hicks did not immediately respond to a follow-up question about the September remarks.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-us-troop-stole-millions-and-millions-in-iraq-224352#ixzz4BcvFk0KX
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2016, 11:39:55 PM
Apparently Steven Hoffenberg submitted an FEC filing stating his intention to run a pro-Trump SuperPAC to the tune of $50,000,000.

Of course Hoffenberg is just coming off a 20 year conviction for running a huge ($460 million) Ponzi scheme (described here)

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this... is this an example of a grifter trying to ride Trump's coat-tails to some quick cash? Or is Trump genuinely receiving significant support from a convicted perpetrator of major financial fraud?

Why don't you feel about it the same way you feel about the Clinton Foundation receiving donations from some of the worst human rights abusers in the world.

Jaron

Gingrich calls for restoration of UnAmerican Activities Committee. GOP gets the blacklists fired up and ready to go.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/politics/newt-gingrich-house-un-american-activities-committee/

(CNN)Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is calling for the creation of a new House Committee on Un-American Activities, invoking the infamous "Red Scare"-era congressional body as a blueprint for weeding out American ISIS adherents and sympathizers.

"We originally created the House Un-American Activities Committee to go after Nazis," he said during an appearance on "Fox and Friends" this week. "We passed several laws in 1938 and 1939 to go after Nazis and we made it illegal to help the Nazis. We're going to presently have to go take the similar steps here."

Gingrich, a vocal supporter of Donald Trump, has been touted as a potential running mate for the presumptive Republican nominee.
His comments on Monday echoed Trump's, as the billionaire businessman suggested "Muslim communities" should be held to greater account for the actions of their neighbors.
"They know what is going on," Trump said during a speech Monday in New Hampshire. "They know that (the Orlando killer) was bad. They knew the people in San Bernardino were bad. But you know what, they didn't turn them in, and we had death and destruction."

The House Un-American Activities Committee was founded on the eve of World War II but gained greater notoriety a decade later as it ​launched a series of investigations into alleged communist elements inside the U.S. government and other aspects of U.S. society.

Gingrich framed the idea of its revival in some form as part of an inevitable escalation of the conflict with the Syria and Iraq-based militant group.
"We're going to ultimately declare a war on Islamic supremacists and we're going to say, if you pledge allegiance to ISIS, you are a traitor and you have lost your citizenship," he said. "We're going to take much tougher positions."
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

See, and you guys kept telling me this would be unconstitutional and unAmerican to do what Gingrich just suggested. :cheers:

Jaron

Last time it was a disaster. We should not do this again.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2016, 03:00:48 AM
Last time it was a disaster. We should not do this again.

Was it really, though? Soviet communism did collapse in the end but can we say it was not a threat in the 1950s in the West? If the US lost its resolve to fight it, who knows where we would have been today.

As with fighting communism, America is perhaps late to the party but Europe is weak, divided and dissolute because of its leftist elites' stance on islamism - once again, only America can save us in the end.