News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Puerto Rico has such a weird status indeed, its citizens are US citizens, yet don't get to vote for Congress, or the president.  :hmm:

The current financial mess should be yet another motivation to go and clarify their political status, instead of the weird limbo they are in.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 07:55:37 AM
Puerto Rico has such a weird status indeed, its citizens are US citizens, yet don't get to vote for Congress, or the president.  :hmm:

Which is why territory or commonwealth status should never be permanent. Those areas should either be made states, be absorbed into states, or be let go. It is a disgrace to keep them in a status that are either artifacts of our brief and embarrassing imperial age or as what was intended to be a temporary status for land that was being settled.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I like that for us foreigners John Oliver seems like the main source of information about the US culture.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 08:45:55 AM
I like that for us foreigners John Oliver seems like the main source of information about the US culture.  :P

Well, in this particular case, Puerto Rico for (obvious) reasons gets good coverage here in Spain.

There's even a loon nostalgic-imperialist movement that wants to offer reintegration into the Crown.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 08:50:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 08:45:55 AM

Well, in this particular case, Puerto Rico for (obvious) reasons gets good coverage here in Spain.

There's even a loon nostalgic-imperialist movement that wants to offer reintegration into the Crown.

Yes please!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 08:50:11 AM

Offer to pay their debts and I am sure PR would be willing to listen.

The Spanish Empire: 1492-1898, 2016-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Hillary Clinton's campaign reached out to me!  :w00t:  They're looking for full time data scientists.  :hmm:  They misspelled my first name in two places.  :rolleyes:

Monoriu

Does Puerto Rico lean Democratic?  If so, there seems no incentive for a Republican controlled congress to agree to increasing the number of Democratic senators by two.

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2016, 10:32:34 AM
Hillary Clinton's campaign reached out to me!  :w00t:  They're looking for full time data scientists.  :hmm:  They misspelled my first name in two places.  :rolleyes:

Full time?  So you need to quit your current job first?  Full time until when?  What if Trump wins?

alfred russel

They REALLY need you. Their current data mining couldn't even figure out the spelling of your name.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on June 06, 2016, 10:40:36 AM

Full time?  So you need to quit your current job first?  Full time until when?  What if Trump wins?
Sounds like it.  And the job is at campaign HQ in Brooklyn, so I imagine one way or the other it goes away after November.  If Trump wins, then I guess I'm getting deported to Mexico.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2016, 10:44:50 AM

They REALLY need you. Their current data mining couldn't even figure out the spelling of your name.
:lol:

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2016, 10:45:23 AM

Sounds like it.  And the job is at campaign HQ in Brooklyn, so I imagine one way or the other it goes away after November.  If Trump wins, then I guess I'm getting deported to Mexico.

So it is a short-term 6 month contract?  How is that even remotely attractive?  Unless the pay is really, really good. 

Legbiter

Take the job, bilk the campaign for as much as you can. :thumbsup:

Just don't rat out the Trump supporter running her twitter feed.  :ph34r:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.