News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 22, 2016, 03:04:23 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2016, 12:45:28 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 22, 2016, 12:41:44 AM
What was clearly meant was your posts against those that defend the former and criticize the latter.
Still drawing a blank.  When have I attacked people for being pro-Sanders?

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2016, 02:01:43 PM
It seems like when it comes to elections, there are two schools of thought about the reasoning for voting or not voting for someone.  Mihali seems to subscribe to the "ultimatum" school of thought:  you better give me a candidate I like, or I will indirectly help make things worse for all of us just to show you I'm serious. 

I subscribe to the "gradualism" school of thought:  if you consistently make the worse choice lose at the elections, eventually candidates will want to make themselves less worse than their opponent.  It might mean you may have to vote for candidates you have distaste for, and that change may be slow in the making, but at least you avoid national catastrophes that set both the country and process back decades.

Is there a clearly better choice?  Yes, of course.  People who subscribe to Mihali's philosophy needs to seriously grow up, and realize that with the adult power to vote comes adult responsibility to not throw tantrums.
This was a discussion about the general election, and the wisdom of protest-voting or protest-non-voting.

Kleves

Sanders doesn't have a chance to win the nomination. Continuing to run only weakens Hillary and makes a Trump presidency more likely. Whatever point he was hoping to make is made. It's time to look to the future of the country now, and that isn't helped by continuing to aid Trump.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Martinus

I love that Tim considers enforcing laws and actually having borders "ethnic cleansing".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2016, 02:35:28 AM
We need a Trump Train list too:

L. Egbiter
M. Artinus
E. Anger (?)
D. Erspiess (?)
P. Hilipv (?)

:lol:

I'm undecided. Other than knowing I ain't voting Hillary.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2016, 09:33:51 AM
I love that Tim considers enforcing laws and actually having borders "ethnic cleansing".

Yep.  Plus IIRC he was dismayed by a report a few years ago that illegal immigration had briefly declined.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2016, 02:35:57 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 21, 2016, 11:40:44 PM
Let's get the Chappaqua Charlatans roster ready.  So far we have:

D. Guller
C. DeMoney
G. Arbon
V. Almy

I know there's a bunch more floating around, but those are the only that come to mind right now.

I think Hillary Hos or Clinton Cucks rolls better off the tongue.

Women Card Holders?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on May 22, 2016, 09:01:27 AM
Sanders doesn't have a chance to win the nomination. Continuing to run only weakens Hillary and makes a Trump presidency more likely. Whatever point he was hoping to make is made. It's time to look to the future of the country now, and that isn't helped by continuing to aid Trump.

HIllary did the same thing and it did nothing to stop Obama's momentum in 2008. Very few would support Sanders if he ran an independent campaign, and he won't run one anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

If you are still filling up the proscriptio lists, add me to the Bernie Sanders one. Although I'd have no qualm to vote for Hillary after the convention.

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2016, 11:08:49 AM

HIllary did the same thing and it did nothing to stop Obama's momentum in 2008. Very few would support Sanders if he ran an independent campaign, and he won't run one anyway.

McCain and Obama were tied nationally in polls while the latter was fending off Clinton in March and April.  What sealed the deal for Obama was the stock market meltdown in September.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html#chart

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2016, 08:49:03 AM
Didn't know "When have I attacked people for being pro-Sanders? was restricted to people for being pro-Sanders in the primaries and not people for being pro-Sanders all-around, including the general election.  I guess you should have made that more clear; if, of course, that's what you really meant.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 22, 2016, 11:14:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2016, 08:49:03 AM
Didn't know "When have I attacked people for being pro-Sanders? was restricted to people for being pro-Sanders in the primaries and not people for being pro-Sanders all-around, including the general election.  I guess you should have made that more clear; if, of course, that's what you really meant.
What was there to be made more clear?  I'm very critical of people planning to pull a Nader, because I view it as cutting off your nose to spite your face.  History shows how self-defeating such attitudes are.  Unless Sanders is going to run in the general and become the recipient of protest voters, calling such people "pro-Sanders" makes no sense.  So, no, I never attacked people from being pro-Sanders, and no asterisks are required.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

It's not Bernie's fault she's a terrible, awful, candidate.  :hmm: His absence won't really help her.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

It is May 22. The last states vote June 7 (DC votes a week after). The general election is over 5 months away. I don't think whether he continues the campaign through the last primaries really is going to make a difference.

Also, there is a non zero (though slim imo) chance that something comes of the emails between now and the convention. In the case it does, it is probably better for everyone for him to have as many pledged delegates as possible going into the convention.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014