News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2016, 09:09:24 AM

It's some sort of weird time-space continuum they live in, where they've convinced themselves that comsistently losing primaries with only 15%-22% support somehow translates to potentially winning a general election.

It's like trying to figure out a way to walk to and from someplace, but by only going downhill both ways.. I don't think we live in that kind of a universe.

Which seems like a more plausible candidate to win a general election?
-a moderate republican that has been losing recent primaries with 15-20% support but polling shows winning a general election matchup
-a nativist populist that has historically unprecedented levels of unfavorable ratings that has won a bunch of primaries but never with more than 50% support outside his home state, and polling showing getting creamed in a general election matchup

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 25, 2016, 11:28:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2016, 09:09:24 AM

It's some sort of weird time-space continuum they live in, where they've convinced themselves that comsistently losing primaries with only 15%-22% support somehow translates to potentially winning a general election.

It's like trying to figure out a way to walk to and from someplace, but by only going downhill both ways.. I don't think we live in that kind of a universe.

-a moderate republican that has been losing recent primaries with 15-20% support but polling shows winning a general election matchup
-a nativist populist that has historically unprecedented levels of unfavorable ratings that has won a bunch of primaries but never with more than 50% support outside his home state, and polling showing getting creamed in a general election matchup

Quite frankly Trump has a better chance at winning than Kasich does.

Kasich has no base.  Nobody is excited about the idea of President Kasich.  No one is going to go out and volunteer, nobody is going to donate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 25, 2016, 11:28:57 AM

At this point, Donald Trump is their best chance nationally.  The rest of the GOP needs to start getting on that train.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2016, 11:35:09 AM

Kasich has no base.  Nobody is excited about the idea of President Kasich.  No one is going to go out and volunteer, nobody is going to donate.

If volunteers and campaign funds were still so decisive, wouldn't Trump and his infamous lack of organization have sunk him long ago?

I also would expect that Kasich would get more donations than Trump in any event. I don't know if you saw this, but a Koch brother has been talking about possibly supporting Hillary. The GOP donor class is showing signs of not getting behind team Trump.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2016, 11:39:49 AM
At this point, Donald Trump is their best chance nationally.  The rest of the GOP needs to start getting on that train.

That train is stupid and on a track that goes over a cliff.

CountDeMoney

Reap what you sow.
Galatians or Rage Against The Machine, take your pick.

The GOP has done this to themselves.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 25, 2016, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2016, 11:35:09 AM

If volunteers and campaign funds were still so decisive, wouldn't Trump and his infamous lack of organization have sunk him long ago?

I also would expect that Kasich would get more donations than Trump in any event. I don't know if you saw this, but a Koch brother has been talking about possibly supporting Hillary. The GOP donor class is showing signs of not getting behind team Trump.

Trump lacks organization, but he has tons of volunteers, and isn't doing so bad when it comes to donations either.  He's raised $51 million so far.

Barrister

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2016, 11:47:09 AM
Reap what you sow.
Galatians or Rage Against The Machine, take your pick.

The GOP has done this to themselves.

Their little plan to take down Obama did not go like the one to take down Bill Clinton. But I guess it worked so well the first time I can see why they fell back on it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: alfred russel on April 25, 2016, 11:42:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2016, 11:39:49 AM

That train is stupid and on a track that goes over a cliff.

Quite. At this stage I doubt the GOP elite care much about the Presidency, but they are worried that Trump will drag the whole ticket down with him

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 25, 2016, 11:05:32 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 25, 2016, 08:41:15 AM
The price for Cruz learning The Power Of Friendship might be higher than he thinks.  :lol: NY must have rattled him.

Blorg?
:D

Legbiter

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 25, 2016, 11:05:32 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 25, 2016, 08:41:15 AM
The price for Cruz learning The Power Of Friendship might be higher than he thinks.  :lol: NY must have rattled him.

Blorg?

It's possible. Cruz as a Blorg in disguise would make sense.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on April 25, 2016, 11:40:52 AMIf volunteers and campaign funds were still so decisive, wouldn't Trump and his infamous lack of organization have sunk him long ago?

Meh, two losers working together are still two losers.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Legbiter, are you trolling or are you serious?  Would you really like to see Trump elected president?