News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2016, 12:15:44 PM
Well he did say he looks and sounds like that only. Not that he was.

I have only caught him a few times and it was...alright. But like Spicey I have not watched the show regularly since Craig left  :lol:

I haven't watched it regularly since Crow and Tom Servo left.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2016, 12:40:50 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 14, 2016, 12:33:08 PM
Bee, yeah, I see your point.

I've watched her a couple times.  She seems to start off with the potential to be funny but then just gets irritating and heavy handed.  She ought to take some lessons from Tina Fey.

Back when she started the joke seemed to be 'I am Canadian LOLZ' but granted I haven't seen her much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2016, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 13, 2016, 10:39:08 PM
Yeah but it just raises the question: Who is this "John Kasich" and what did he do to the angry, crazy John Kasich I knew back in the 90s

He's been a consensus builder through most of his time as governor here.  Most reasonable Democrats seem okay with him; only the die-hards have a bug up their asses about one or two issues.

It's not a complaint.  But different guy from his younger years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

He certainly mellowed the fuck out when he tried to out-Walker the state's public unions, and they shoved it up his ass. 

For somebody that hates women, he sure is a big pussy.

Phillip V

Clinton and Sanders are now almost tied in national Democratic polling.  What does this mean with this happening this late in the game?  Frontrunners are supposed to be solidifying their lead.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_democratic_presidential_nomination-3824.html

Though, could we compare this to Clinton's final counter-surge (in Sander's current role) against frontrunner Obama (in Clinton's current role) in May 2008 before finally dying?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/democratic_presidential_nomination-191.html

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Phillip V on April 14, 2016, 11:55:51 PM
What does this mean

Nothing.  It is pointless looking for meaning
Sanders will break up the banks into "ba" and "nks".  Trump will get Mexicans to build a 2000 mile long 55 foot tall wall. That is the choice for America.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jaron

Sanders is slow to catch up. Is he running on CP time?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jaron on April 15, 2016, 03:22:07 AM
Sanders is slow to catch up. Is he running on CP time?

Communist Party Time. who knows... :p

Martinus

NYP endorses Donald Trump. Murdoch seeing writing on the wall?

Legbiter

Quote from: Phillip V on April 14, 2016, 11:55:51 PM
Clinton and Sanders are now almost tied in national Democratic polling.  What does this mean with this happening this late in the game?  Frontrunners are supposed to be solidifying their lead.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_democratic_presidential_nomination-3824.html

Dosen't matter, short of Clinton dropping dead, Sanders will get superdelegated out of the nomination. The Dems have this weird Iranian-style system where  voters participate in some sort of ritualistic placebo voting while party leaders select the candidate.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on April 15, 2016, 07:11:04 AM
Dosen't matter, short of Clinton dropping dead, Sanders will get superdelegated out of the nomination. The Dems have this weird Iranian-style system where  voters participate in some sort of ritualistic placebo voting while party leaders select the candidate.  :hmm:

That's because they are determined as a party to never again deal with the chaos, confusion and outright embarrassment of Chicago '68 or Cleveland '16.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on April 14, 2016, 09:25:50 AM

This comic strip ran in 1953 (when Donald Trump was 7).  Did Charlie Brown grow up to become Donald Trump?  :(

Maybe he became Batman instead?

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: Legbiter on April 15, 2016, 07:11:04 AM
Dosen't matter, short of Clinton dropping dead, Sanders will get superdelegated out of the nomination. The Dems have this weird Iranian-style system where  voters participate in some sort of ritualistic placebo voting while party leaders select the candidate.

Yet Clinton has clearly won a majority of the votes thus far.  Do the Sanders supporters just ignore that in their zeal?  Or are they clueless?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

I imagine a lot of Sanders supporters have a perception that because their candidate has the "momentum" then that means the superdelegates should back Sanders. The fact that Hillary has more many more votes than Sanders and is polling ahead of Bernie by double digits in all the big states, states he desperately needs to do much better than her to cut into her lead, doesn't faze them, unfortunately. Zeal, cluelessness, ignorance, whatever you call it, it's embarrassing. It may make the inevitable coronation of Clinton a little spicy, which would be interesting at least.

Or, he'll win big in New York and make us all eat crow. This election cycle has thrown us The Donald and Hostage Chris Christie, small hands, CP Time, nonsensical projected 4-10% GDP growth, and Ted "Zodiac Killer" Cruz, so I honestly wouldn't be all that surprised.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

QuoteLet Me Ask America a Question
How has the 'system' been working out for you and your family? No wonder voters demand change.

By DONALD J. TRUMP
April 14, 2016 7:18 p.m. ET
2742 COMMENTS
On Saturday, April 9, Colorado had an "election" without voters. Delegates were chosen on behalf of a presidential nominee, yet the people of Colorado were not able to cast their ballots to say which nominee they preferred.

A planned vote had been canceled. And one million Republicans in Colorado were sidelined.

In recent days, something all too predictable has happened: Politicians furiously defended the system. "These are the rules," we were told over and over again. If the "rules" can be used to block Coloradans from voting on whether they want better trade deals, or stronger borders, or an end to special-interest vote-buying in Congress—well, that's just the system and we should embrace it.

Let me ask America a question: How has the "system" been working out for you and your family?

I, for one, am not interested in defending a system that for decades has served the interest of political parties at the expense of the people. Members of the club—the consultants, the pollsters, the politicians, the pundits and the special interests—grow rich and powerful while the American people grow poorer and more isolated.

No one forced anyone to cancel the vote in Colorado. Political insiders made a choice to cancel it. And it was the wrong choice.

Responsible leaders should be shocked by the idea that party officials can simply cancel elections in America if they don't like what the voters may decide.

The only antidote to decades of ruinous rule by a small handful of elites is a bold infusion of popular will. On every major issue affecting this country, the people are right and the governing elite are wrong. The elites are wrong on taxes, on the size of government, on trade, on immigration, on foreign policy.

Why should we trust the people who have made every wrong decision to substitute their will for America's will in this presidential election?

Here, I part ways with Sen. Ted Cruz.
Mr. Cruz has toured the country bragging about his voterless victory in Colorado. For a man who styles himself as a warrior against the establishment (you wouldn't know it from his list of donors and endorsers), you'd think he would be demanding a vote for Coloradans. Instead, Mr. Cruz is celebrating their disenfranchisement.

Likewise, Mr. Cruz loudly boasts every time party insiders disenfranchise voters in a congressional district by appointing delegates who will vote the opposite of the expressed will of the people who live in that district.

That's because Mr. Cruz has no democratic path to the nomination. He has been mathematically eliminated by the voters.

While I am self-funding, Mr. Cruz rakes in millions from special interests. Yet despite his financial advantage, Mr. Cruz has won only three primaries outside his home state and trails me by two million votes—a gap that will soon explode even wider. Mr. Cruz loses when people actually get to cast ballots. Voter disenfranchisement is not merely part of the Cruz strategy—it is the Cruz strategy.

The great irony of this campaign is that the "Washington cartel" that Mr. Cruz rails against is the very group he is relying upon in his voter-nullification scheme.

My campaign strategy is to win with the voters. Ted Cruz's campaign strategy is to win despite them.

What we are seeing now is not a proper use of the rules, but a flagrant abuse of the rules. Delegates are supposed to reflect the decisions of voters, but the system is being rigged by party operatives with "double-agent" delegates who reject the decision of voters.

The American people can have no faith in such a system. It must be reformed.

Just as I have said that I will reform our unfair trade, immigration and economic policies that have also been rigged against Americans, so too will I work closely with the chairman of the Republican National Committee and top GOP officials to reform our election policies. Together, we will restore the faith—and the franchise—of the American people.

We must leave no doubt that voters, not donors, choose the nominee.

How have we gotten to the point where politicians defend a rigged delegate-selection process with more passion than they have ever defended America's borders?

Perhaps it is because politicians care more about securing their private club than about securing their country.

My campaign will, of course, battle for every last delegate. We will work within the system that exists now, while fighting to have it reformed in the future. But we will do it the right way. My campaign will seek maximum transparency, maximum representation and maximum voter participation.

We will run a campaign based on empowering voters, not sidelining them.

Let us take inspiration from patriotic Colorado citizens who have banded together in protest. Let us make Colorado a rallying cry on behalf of all the forgotten people whose desperate pleas have for decades fallen on the deaf ears and closed eyes of our rulers in Washington, D.C.

The political insiders have had their way for a long time. Let 2016 be remembered as the year the American people finally got theirs.

Mr. Trump is a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/let-me-ask-america-a-question-1460675882

I don't like his candidacy, and am firmly with #NeverTrump, but I think this is a powerful argument.  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.