News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on April 14, 2016, 11:29:32 AM
I think Samantha Bee is the closest thing to being Stewart's successor, judging from three episodes I watched online.

I think there's a fine line between biased political humor and political propaganda and one needs a soft touch, like Stewart, not to traipse all over that line. Bee and Maher sound like shills rather than comics much of the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

That strip works even better for Bernie Sanders...
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on April 14, 2016, 11:50:50 AM

Nah. He is very issue-oriented.

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 11:52:23 AM

Nah. He is very issue-oriented.

He has created a cult of personality around himself. I'm surprised no one has built statues yet.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on April 14, 2016, 11:53:54 AM
He has created a cult of personality around himself. I'm surprised no one has built statues yet.

The cult of personality needed little help from the man himself. You know how the internet works.

Savonarola

The Bern would have been too old (about 12 when the strip was published.)  Kasich and Cruz would have been too young (1 and -17 respectively).  Hil is the right age but simply not gender fluid enough to have been Charlie Brown.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 11:57:49 AM

The cult of personality needed little help from the man himself. You know how the internet works.

When even level headed and wise Ank is part of the cult you know things have gone from bad to worse.

Eddie Teach

Ank seems like one of the first people who would join such a movement, actually.

BTW, tell him to come back to the forum that he once thought was worth two grand.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2016, 11:36:04 AM
I just think he sounds/looks too privileged and conceited, imo, to be able to deliver the same type of biting commentary.

Stewart had a lot of "street NJ/NY" charisma going for him and so he sounded much less a caviar left Noah does.

Noah is privileged and "caviar"?

You know he grew up as a mixed-race kid in apartheid south africa, when his parents relationship was illegal?  That his mother went to jail because she married a white man?  That he grew up in the notorious Soweto township?

I'm not a fan, but that particular complaint is just bizarre.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Well he did say he looks and sounds like that only. Not that he was.

I have only caught him a few times and it was...alright. But like Spicey I have not watched the show regularly since Craig left  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 11:50:19 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 14, 2016, 11:29:32 AM
I think Samantha Bee is the closest thing to being Stewart's successor, judging from three episodes I watched online.

I think there's a fine line between biased political humor and political propaganda and one needs a soft touch, like Stewart, not to traipse all over that line. Bee and Maher sound like shills rather than comics much of the time.
Don't know about Maher, never watch him, but he does seem to hold some views that NYC liberals would find intolerably intolerant.  Bee, yeah, I see your point.

derspiess

Unlike... Hillary?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2016, 12:15:44 PM
Well he did say he looks and sounds like that only. Not that he was.

I have only caught him a few times and it was...alright. But like Spicey I have not watched the show regularly since Craig left  :lol:

Craig could ball.  He was best friends with Vince Vaughn.  Plus his voice was oddly similar to Dennis Miller's.  Tough act to follow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 14, 2016, 12:33:08 PM
Bee, yeah, I see your point.

I've watched her a couple times.  She seems to start off with the potential to be funny but then just gets irritating and heavy handed.  She ought to take some lessons from Tina Fey.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2016, 12:35:53 PM

Unlike... Hillary?

Don't counter-troll us we have had a tough week :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."