News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Will it be enough to get a decent portion of the women vote though?

Martinus

Incidentally, I think Trump is smarter than he is given credit for, only that he is not playing this out like a politician would but like a contestant/character on a reality tv show.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2016, 05:28:28 AM
Will it be enough to get a decent portion of the women vote though?

Sure, why not.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

1 chick and 5 dudes visible in that shot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 02:49:54 AM
Noah's more watchable than many of his rivals. Samantha Bee, Seth Meyers, Fallon & Kimmel on political stuff, Maher. He's no Stewart or Colbert though.

I like Samantha Bee in small bits - like I think her Trump supporter bit was fun. I haven't actually watched Noah but all of the articles about him don't sound fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I enjoyed the bit where he compared Trump to an African President.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

I made one of my rare visits to Facebook to check up on something, and my feed is filled up with high school friends going on about Cruz riding the hometown roller coaster.  Ugh.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2016, 05:32:29 AM
Incidentally, I think Trump is smarter than he is given credit for, only that he is not playing this out like a politician would but like a contestant/character on a reality tv show.

Donkeys are also smarter than they are given credit for, in any given situation they can play it out just like a jackass.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on April 14, 2016, 08:06:15 AM
I made one of my rare visits to Facebook to check up on something, and my feed is filled up with high school friends going on about Cruz riding the hometown roller coaster.  Ugh.

:lol:  That's awesome.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 13, 2016, 10:39:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2016, 10:23:02 AM
Love those quotes from Kasich. Victimless moral disagreements should never be written in the law of the land, and that doesn't mean you are forced to disown your beliefs.

Yeah but it just raises the question: Who is this "John Kasich" and what did he do to the angry, crazy John Kasich I knew back in the 90s

Raises a terrifying future vista in which, in a future election, Cruz and Trump will be the candidates of sweet reason by comparison with the front-runners ...  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

This comic strip ran in 1953 (when Donald Trump was 7).  Did Charlie Brown grow up to become Donald Trump?  :(

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 13, 2016, 10:39:08 PM
Yeah but it just raises the question: Who is this "John Kasich" and what did he do to the angry, crazy John Kasich I knew back in the 90s

He's been a consensus builder through most of his time as governor here.  Most reasonable Democrats seem okay with him; only the die-hards have a bug up their asses about one or two issues.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 14, 2016, 09:25:50 AM

This comic strip ran in 1953 (when Donald Trump was 7).  Did Charlie Brown grow up to become Donald Trump?  :(

:lol:

Here, Sav, you can order inaugural coasters:

http://www.cafepress.ca/+president_brown_tile_coaster,218408358
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2016, 06:54:11 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 02:49:54 AM
Noah's more watchable than many of his rivals. Samantha Bee, Seth Meyers, Fallon & Kimmel on political stuff, Maher. He's no Stewart or Colbert though.

I like Samantha Bee in small bits - like I think her Trump supporter bit was fun. I haven't actually watched Noah but all of the articles about him don't sound fun.
I think Samantha Bee is the closest thing to being Stewart's successor, judging from three episodes I watched online.  Trevor Noah is just a Leno type:  okay for making jokes about bad English skills of Chinese takeout place owners, not so good at making biting insightful political commentary.

Martinus

I just think he sounds/looks too privileged and conceited, imo, to be able to deliver the same type of biting commentary.

Stewart had a lot of "street NJ/NY" charisma going for him and so he sounded much less a caviar left Noah does.

Edit: Samantha Bee's husband (whose name I forgot) would also be a better pick, imo.