News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2016, 08:38:42 PM:huh:  I guess that's a Millennial thing

I don't know if other races use it (referring to mexicans and asians here), but among some white people crowds, it's a popular term that transcended its origins.  :)

derspiess

No white people crowds I hang with use it.  But again I don't hang with Millennials very often.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2016, 08:51:43 PM
No white people crowds I hang with use it.  But again I don't hang with Millennials very often.

yeah, more with people in my generation (and younger?)

(edit) also, of course, never publicly--it's still considered a bad word by many

HisMajestyBOB

I always heard it said as "Colored people's time", but only from actual people of color.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2016, 10:23:02 AM
Love those quotes from Kasich. Victimless moral disagreements should never be written in the law of the land, and that doesn't mean you are forced to disown your beliefs.

Yeah but it just raises the question: Who is this "John Kasich" and what did he do to the angry, crazy John Kasich I knew back in the 90s
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2016, 10:50:45 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 13, 2016, 10:40:56 AM
New poll out, the gap between Clinton and Trump seems to be closing.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-voters-split-between-clinton-trump-hypothetical-november-matchup-n554306

QuoteWhen asked about Trump as the GOP nominee in November instead of Cruz, registered voters are split between Clinton and Trump, though the race is tighter: Thirty-eight percent would vote for Clinton and 36 percent would vote for Trump. Another 16 percent would vote for a third party candidate and 8 percent would abstain from voting.

But it's early in the game.

Goofy poll - they include "third party" as an option without specifying what that third party, or who its candidate, is.

Realclearpolitics poll-of-poles still has Clinton with a 10 point lead.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_presidential_race.html

National polls are sort of meaningless due to the Electoral College. In battleground states, Trump has fared quite well. He can beat Clinton in Florida. If NY is in play, all bets are off.

Hence my bet with Yi.

Barrister

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 13, 2016, 09:49:56 PM
I always heard it said as "Colored people's time", but only from actual people of color.

I referenced "Indian time" before, but it was only ever used by aboriginal people.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on April 13, 2016, 10:41:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2016, 10:50:45 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 13, 2016, 10:40:56 AM
New poll out, the gap between Clinton and Trump seems to be closing.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-voters-split-between-clinton-trump-hypothetical-november-matchup-n554306

QuoteWhen asked about Trump as the GOP nominee in November instead of Cruz, registered voters are split between Clinton and Trump, though the race is tighter: Thirty-eight percent would vote for Clinton and 36 percent would vote for Trump. Another 16 percent would vote for a third party candidate and 8 percent would abstain from voting.

But it's early in the game.

Goofy poll - they include "third party" as an option without specifying what that third party, or who its candidate, is.

Realclearpolitics poll-of-poles still has Clinton with a 10 point lead.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_presidential_race.html

National polls are sort of meaningless due to the Electoral College. In battleground states, Trump has fared quite well. He can beat Clinton in Florida. If NY is in play, all bets are off.

Hence my bet with Yi.

There's no reason to think New York is in play.  It's a deep blue state.

The EC can make some difference around the margins, but it won't make up for a 10 point difference.  There was a 0.5% difference between Bush and Gore in 2000 (with Gore in the lead).  10 point difference means a blowout.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2016, 05:03:14 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trevor-noah-takes-hillary-clinton-145000977.html?nhp=1

QuoteTrevor Noah Takes Hillary Clinton to Task for "Colored People Time" Joke

Delivering a controversial, racist joke is never a good idea, but it's even worse when you do it in the national spotlight, and what's more, in the middle of a presidential campaign. That's the lesson former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton learned Saturday, when she and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio made an ill-advised joke about "CP time," short for "colored people time," a nod to the overly generalized, offensive stereotype that people of color are consistently late for things.

Clinton's taken understandable heat for participating in the gag, and Trevor Noah said Tuesday on The Daily Show just how stupid the skit was. Namely, because Clinton's popularity with the minority vote is giving her a slight edge over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

"Why would you do this, Hillary?" Noah said. "This should be so easy. Just don't say the things that will lose you the votes ... That's like if the governor of Michigan was going around Flint telling water jokes: 'I'll have a Mountain Dew, I'm trying to stay healthy.'"

Though Noah concludes that Clinton and De Blasio likely aren't racist, he notes they "got too comfortable," in part, because they delivered the joke next to Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. However, if the notion was confusing to white people, Noah said it in a way we might understand — with a SeaWorld analogy, the bane of our vacation plans.

"Let me explain this in a way white people will understand," Noah said. "Race jokes are kind of like orcas. Powerful and entertaining, but you put them on display in the wrong environment, and people are going to get hurt. And the joke might die."

I'm assuming this goes in the 'never make a joke about race if you are white' category. I don't think I personally know a black person who hasn't made a CP time joke.

God, I really can't stand Trevor Noah. Because of him I stopped watching the Daily Show.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2016, 11:55:00 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trevor-noah-takes-hillary-clinton-145000977.html?nhp=1

Delivering a controversial, racist joke is never a good idea, but it's even worse when you do it in the national spotlight, and what's more, in the middle of a presidential campaign. That's the lesson former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton learned Saturday, when she and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio made an ill-advised joke about "CP time," short for "colored people time," a nod to the overly generalized, offensive stereotype that people of color are consistently late for things.

Clinton's taken understandable heat for participating in the gag, and Trevor Noah said Tuesday on The Daily Show just how stupid the skit was. Namely, because Clinton's popularity with the minority vote is giving her a slight edge over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

"Why would you do this, Hillary?" Noah said. "This should be so easy. Just don't say the things that will lose you the votes ... That's like if the governor of Michigan was going around Flint telling water jokes: 'I'll have a Mountain Dew, I'm trying to stay healthy.'"

Though Noah concludes that Clinton and De Blasio likely aren't racist, he notes they "got too comfortable," in part, because they delivered the joke next to Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. However, if the notion was confusing to white people, Noah said it in a way we might understand — with a SeaWorld analogy, the bane of our vacation plans.

"Let me explain this in a way white people will understand," Noah said. "Race jokes are kind of like orcas. Powerful and entertaining, but you put them on display in the wrong environment, and people are going to get hurt. And the joke might die."

I'm assuming this goes in the 'never make a joke about race if you are white' category. I don't think I personally know a black person who hasn't made a CP time joke.

God, I really can't stand Trevor Noah. Because of him I stopped watching the Daily Show.

Why, my love?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Zoupa

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2016, 11:55:00 PM

Oh no. Say it ain't so.  :mellow:

Eddie Teach

Noah's more watchable than many of his rivals. Samantha Bee, Seth Meyers, Fallon & Kimmel on political stuff, Maher. He's no Stewart or Colbert though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Maybe the best at saying things you like to hear or agree with, but not the best at saying funny things. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

The WrestleMania rivalry between Megyn Kelly and Trump is about to go into the redemptive Act III.  ^_^

QuoteRepublican presidential front-runner Donald Trump and Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly met Wednesday morning at Trump Tower in New York after months of feuding.

Fox News chairman Roger Ailes apparently brokered the meeting.

A network spokesperson said Ailes had spoken with Trump "a few times over the past three months" about appearing in a Fox special with Kelly on May 23.
"Kelly requested a meeting with Mr. Trump, which took place at Trump Tower this morning," the spokesperson said in a statement shared with The Hill, adding that the "results of that meeting" would be shared on "The Kelly File" Wednesday night.

"Kelly has acknowledged in recent interviews that Trump is a fascinating person to cover and has electrified the Republican base," the spokesperson added.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/276160-report-megyn-kelly-meets-privately-with-trump

Prediction: That interview will get some fairly decent ratings.  :showoff:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.