Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

"Allahu Akbar" is just Arab for "God is Great", which is pretty much a normal Christian viewpoint.  It's not like anyone says, "Well, God is just OK" except maybe the Doobie Brothers.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on April 07, 2016, 04:32:37 PM
"Allahu Akbar" is just Arab for "God is Great", which is pretty much a normal Christian viewpoint.  It's not like anyone says, "Well, God is just OK" except maybe the Doobie Brothers.

The point is that if the general population heard Allahu Akbar instead of God is Great there would be pandemonium in the streets.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

lustindarkness

Quote from: merithyn on April 07, 2016, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: dps on April 07, 2016, 04:32:37 PM

The point is that if the general population heard Allahu Akbar instead of God is Great there would be pandemonium in the streets.

Specially if followed by an explosion. :yes:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Phillip V

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2016, 03:16:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 07, 2016, 03:05:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2016, 02:45:55 PM
If Ted Cruz wins the nomination I have no shadow of a doubt he will pivot towards the centre.  Cruz is a smart guy.  He graduated from Princeton undergrad and Harvard Law, where he made law review.  He clerked with Rehnquist.  He worked with the Bush campaign, was Texas Solicitor-General, then made huge waves as an insurgent tea party senator from Texas.

Now he's not going to run as a leftist, but he knows how politics work.  His campaign focus will change if he wins the nomination.

If the choice it between Ted Cruz and Clinton, or Sanders for that matter, I'd be pulling for Cruz.

But it would be a farce for him to shift to the middle, and we all know it. He's not hidden his type of crazy. (You call it what you will, but that level of fanaticism is crazy in my book.) It would be nearly impossible for him to suddenly shift focus and convince Independents or even Moderates that he's really not going to force his religion down everyone's throats. No, honest.

I don't know.  For your theory to be true you have to believe that Ted Cruz is dumb.

He's not going to shift to the middle and adopt Kasich's platform.  But he'll soften it.  He'll change focus.  It'll be more what issues he emphasizes, ratehr than actually changing his beliefs.  Why will he do it?  Because that's how politics has worked for the last 50 years or so.  You play to your base in the primaries, then you play for the centre in the general election.  Cruz has run too smart of a campaign not to know this.

That's what I thought Romney would do, be he didn't.

Romney still ran away from the universal healthcare and legalized gay marriage that occurred during his Massachusetts governorship as well as his French language/experience and father's Mexican origins.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2016, 02:45:55 PM
If the choice it between Ted Cruz and Clinton, or Sanders for that matter, I'd be pulling for Cruz.

Nah man

"He's committed to a legal and political rollback of legalized same-sex marriage, and has embraced a pastor who has endorsed the death penalty for homosexuality. He opposes all abortion, without exceptions for rape or incest. Republicans are justifiably reluctant to defend a vision of America where happily married same-sex couples have their unions involuntarily annulled and women are forced to spend nine months carrying their rapist's child to term."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/ted-cruz-would-be-a-catastrophically-bad-nominee.html?mid=fb-share-di

Jaron

Bernie Sanders...what do you guys think of this hep cat?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Zoupa

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Maximus

Well he's now at the "then they fight you" stage so it's no surprise that the languish troll brigade is bandwagonning that.

CountDeMoney

Cruz shifting to the middle? Yeah right.

This is the guy that poked the GOP leadership and peers in the eye every chance he got. 
He shut down the fucking government.  For fun.
The "Republican Establishment"--if there even is one anymore, which I doubt--hates him with a passion not seen since Goldwater.

And thus, for all his asshole efforts, he is going to be rewarded by the very party that hates his fucking guts, from Mitch McConnell down to Kelly Ayotte.  So why shift the fuck anywhere?  He's beating them.

CRUZ/ISSA 2016

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on April 07, 2016, 03:43:17 PMCruz you get the opposite - someone who will try to sell himself as less fundy than he is, but who is in fact a religious fanatic.

where do you get the impression cruz is a religious fanatic?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2013/11/10/ted-cruz-was-polarizing-figure-harvard-law-foreshadowing-his-partisan-profile-senate/gEUPs0iVgOyoidafkNe94H/story.html

when you read about his life, he doesn't come across as a religious fanatic. a person who might talk about god, yes, but not a religious fanatic.

11B4V

Quote from: Jaron on April 07, 2016, 05:51:07 PM
Bernie Sanders...what do you guys think of this hep cat?

Cats are stupid and for losers.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Cats are awesome. Bernie probably needs to sharpen his claws.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on April 07, 2016, 06:14:25 PM
Well he's now at the "then they fight you" stage so it's no surprise that the languish troll brigade is bandwagonning that.

It is the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America all over again :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."