News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

So both Cruz and Trump are calling for Kasich to bail.

I think Trump is thinking Kasich is pulling delegates from him, and Cruz wants to go into the convention positioned as the only alternative to Trump.

The current convention rules state that only candidates who win at least 8 states get on the ballot at all, and of course neither of them are inclined to change that, and the rules committee is composed of delegates, and neither of those two are going to put delegates on the committee who would change that rule.

Kasich has to win some states, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

I hope he stays in anyway though, just because the other two options are just so very, very bad...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Kasich needs to stay in. Both Cruz and Trump are unstable candidates, something might still go wrong for one of both that opens the door for Kasich.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2016, 01:18:01 PM

The current convention rules state that only candidates who win at least 8 states get on the ballot at all, and of course neither of them are inclined to change that, and the rules committee is composed of delegates, and neither of those two are going to put delegates on the committee who would change that rule.

a) that was a temporary rule applying to the last convention that had never been in place before and was there just to keep out Ron Paul. Of course the two guys that qualify under that rule would want to keep out anyone else.
b) in many cases the delegates are not really aligned to the people they are pledged to. For example, I read that even though Trump swept all 55 or so delegates in Arizona, of those 55 something like 50 prefer Cruz. It is possible that a lot of state delegations are filled with people that don't like either candidate, and are more traditional sorts of republicans that might favor Kasich. (though my hunch is that Trump has very limited support, while Cruz has been working the delegate selection process to stack delegates, and once it goes to a second ballot he wins--Kasich should be doing that but seems to barely be running a campaign at this point)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 01:26:53 PM
Kasich needs to stay in. Both Cruz and Trump are unstable candidates, something might still go wrong for one of both that opens the door for Kasich.

You're still at denial?  :huh: You should get to the bargaining phase for your emotional well-being ASAP.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on April 05, 2016, 02:29:11 PM
You're still at denial?  :huh: You should get to the bargaining phase for your emotional well-being ASAP.  :lol:

Not sure what you mean. I think Cruz is far more likely to fall apart since so much of his appeal is based on his ideological and moral purity. Kasich might pick up a few states.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Trump and will soon see the end of the Sanders rebellion. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 05, 2016, 05:09:12 PM
This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Trump and will soon see the end of the Sanders rebellion.

While I hope you are right regarding this being the end of Trump, why do you think this will stop Sanders?  He's going to win in Wisconsin by a comfortable margin, by my reckoning.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Careful...remember how that movie reference turned out.  :P

jimmy olsen

Cruz wins Wisconsin. Trump will have to win big in NY to make up for it if we wants to get 1237
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2016, 08:35:34 PM
Cruz wins Wisconsin. Trump will have to win big in NY to make up for it if we wants to get 1237

Trump should issue a televised humbly soft apology to all women.  They will forgive him, and the votes will return.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 05, 2016, 08:17:51 PM

Careful...remember how that movie reference turned out.  :P

America has switched off its targeting computer.