And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2016, 08:35:04 PM

He'll run in the states he can just to punish the GOP and prevent them from winning.

He'll also probably challenge those sore loser laws in court. I can't concieve of how they're in any way constitutional, but they've been upheld before and likely will again. Still, he could get lucky and win.

I doubt he will spend millions to run in a handful of states when he doesn't have a chance to win.

Also, how can you not conceive that states can limit access to their ballots for people that were on earlier stages of the ballots? I'm really curious on this. I mean, it would clearly be constitutional for a state to cancel the entire ballot and just leave it up to the members of the state legislature to decide the election results for the state.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 28, 2016, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2016, 08:35:04 PM

He'll run in the states he can just to punish the GOP and prevent them from winning.

He'll also probably challenge those sore loser laws in court. I can't concieve of how they're in any way constitutional, but they've been upheld before and likely will again. Still, he could get lucky and win.

I doubt he will spend millions to run in a handful of states when he doesn't have a chance to win.

Also, how can you not conceive that states can limit access to their ballots for people that were on earlier stages of the ballots? I'm really curious on this. I mean, it would clearly be constitutional for a state to cancel the entire ballot and just leave it up to the members of the state legislature to decide the election results for the state.

Well, they can choose the electors anyway.

But, of course, any state government that decides to toss the indirect elections and choose their own electors would be facing their own electoral suicide.

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2016, 07:25:56 PM
If Trump goes into the convention having "won" 1237 plus delegates and Cruz wins the nomination because of this the GOP is going to be destroyed. Trump will run third party and Hillary will win over 400 electoral votes. The Senate will certainly flip and the House might as well.

I don't disagree with you about Hillary racking up the electoral votes, but why do you assume the House and Senate would fall as well?  Do you think Trump and Cruz voters are going to vote Democrat instead of the single Republican on the ticket?  Or are you under some thinking that Trump has a list of people who will run for House and Senate seats under his banner against a Republican?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2016, 08:35:04 PMHe'll also probably challenge those sore loser laws in court. I can't concieve of how they're in any way constitutional, but they've been upheld before and likely will again. Still, he could get lucky and win.

States have a lot leeway in selecting Electors; doesn't make a lot of sense in this day and age but its a constitutional anachronism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2016, 08:45:42 PM
He won't do any of that.

You don't think he's petty enough to do it out of spite?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2016, 10:22:19 PM

States have a lot leeway in selecting Electors; doesn't make a lot of sense in this day and age but its a constitutional anachronism.

Why? How does the EU choose their head of state?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

Solmyr

So, as a ROTW inhabitant, the main thing I care about is that the next POTUS doesn't give in to Russia's pressure and start making deals with Putin (removing sanctions, etc). How likely is this to happen with the current candidates?

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2016, 12:13:37 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2016, 08:45:42 PM
He won't do any of that.

You don't think he's petty enough to do it out of spite?

Nope.

I don't believe he would need to either.  If Trump has the nomination "stolen" from him at the convention, I think enough of his followers will just stay home on election day, and the GOP is doomed regardless.

Eddie Teach

I think Trump is the only candidate likely to take a softer approach on Russia than Obama has. And even then it's not a given- being too friendly with Putin will hurt his approval rate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Quote from: Solmyr on March 29, 2016, 01:16:00 AM
So, as a ROTW inhabitant, the main thing I care about is that the next POTUS doesn't give in to Russia's pressure and start making deals with Putin (removing sanctions, etc). How likely is this to happen with the current candidates?

Have sanctions been working?

Solmyr

Quote from: Phillip V on March 29, 2016, 02:13:18 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 29, 2016, 01:16:00 AM

Have sanctions been working?

Yes.