News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2016, 04:28:25 PMAt present the yuan is over-valued, not under - China is trying to avoid devaluation while expanding the money supply, and appears to be doing it through surreptitious capital controls.

They really aren't that surreptitious.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2016, 04:32:24 PM
I think Trump's basic program could be summed up thus:

Step 1- Elect him President.
Step 2- Make America Great Again.
Step 3- Get tired of winning all the time!

Fixed.  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2016, 04:43:35 PM

Step 2- ...
Step 3a- Make America Great Again.
Step 3b- Get tired of winning all the time!

"Make America Great Again" is a step that can't be taken at present and requires unknown intermediary steps, thus the ...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2016, 04:53:44 PM

Step 2- ...
Step 3a- Make America Great Again.
Step 3b- Get tired of winning all the time!

"Make America Great Again" is a step that can't be taken at present and requires unknown intermediary steps, thus the ...

That sounds low-energy to me.

Eddie Teach

Trump keeps his energy level high by doing lots of talking and little thinking.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Step 2- Make America Great Again.
Step 3- Get tired of winning all the time!

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Jaron on March 28, 2016, 05:49:25 PM
As predicted, Service Secret says NO GUNS in convention.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=39082759&nid=757&title=secret-service-no-guns-inside-gop-convention

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 28, 2016, 04:22:09 PM
Secret Service has shot down the petition to allow open-carry at the GOP convention:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/28/more-than-42000-people-have-signed-a-petition-to-allow-guns-at-the-republican-national-convention/?tid=pm_pop_b

Naturally, I expect GOP leaders to appeal against this decision, as making the convention a gun-free zone will only make everyone unsafe by attracting violence and terrorism.

:contract:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 28, 2016, 03:46:55 PM
Does he really want to go back to the gold standard?

:lol: What a goof.

This might be Ted Cruz's worst idea, courtesy of the Washington Post, that unabashed hive of Chicago School gangsters.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on March 28, 2016, 07:08:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 28, 2016, 03:28:54 AM
I hope there will be enough unmanned cameras at the RNC to broadcast the whole event. :D

Highly unlikely anything interesting happens. For all the talk of violence, etc., this is a republican convention. The attendees are republican junkies and officials. Basically a convention of Ned Flanders.

In more fun news, they are actually picking delegates now, and stories are coming out that Trump is doing...I won't say poorly, because you have to actually show up to do poorly.

For example, in Louisiana, Trump won the state, but the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Cruz may end up with as much as 10 more delegates, and Cruz supporters got 5 of the 6 slots on the committees writing convention rules and platforms.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/03/ted_cruz_gaining_delegates_in.html#incart_article_small

And in South Carolina, Trump won all 50 of the states delegates in the primary, but now as the delegates are being picked, the actual support of those 50 by the delegates seems, well, a bit lukewarm.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/south-carolina-delegates-convention-221253

If Trump goes into the convention having "won" 1237 plus delegates and Cruz wins the nomination because of this the GOP is going to be destroyed. Trump will run third party and Hillary will win over 400 electoral votes. The Senate will certainly flip and the House might as well. If I was Cruz I don't even see how this would be in my interest. Surely waiting to run again as the favorite for the nomination in 2020 makes more sense career wise?

Of course Cruz might end up destroyed by these affair rumours, leaving the Donald victorious by default.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

lustindarkness

Is the destruction of the current Republican Party a bad thing?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2016, 07:25:56 PM
If Trump goes into the convention having "won" 1237 plus delegates and Cruz wins the nomination because of this the GOP is going to be destroyed. Trump will run third party and Hillary will win over 400 electoral votes. The Senate will certainly flip and the House might as well. If I was Cruz I don't even see how this would be in my interest. Surely waiting to run again as the favorite for the nomination in 2020 makes more sense career wise?

Of course Cruz might end up destroyed by these affair rumours, leaving the Donald victorious by default.

Tim, the way I see it, it is highly unlikely that either Trump or Cruz beats Hillary. It is probably a landslide either way. But they aren't the same. Trump is a racist demagogue, while Cruz is just a hyperconservative asshole. It is the difference between George Wallace and Barry Goldwater. Trump is a long term disaster to the Republican Party, and the further he goes in the process the more the country looks like assclowns to the rest of the world. It is also bad for the country to have borderline riots when Trump ties to hold rallies in big cities. Cruz on the other hand is just a bad election.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2016, 07:43:31 PM
Trump won't run third-party.

Not only won't he want to, or be able to afford to, he basically won't be able to. Several states have "sore loser" laws that prohibit a primary loser from appearing on the general election ballot. So Trump won't be able to get on the ballot there. Also, the convention is the second half of July. That is too late to get on the ballot in many of the states that would otherwise legally permit him to.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on March 28, 2016, 08:07:16 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2016, 07:43:31 PM
Trump won't run third-party.

Not only won't he want to, or be able to afford to, he basically won't be able to. Several states have "sore loser" laws that prohibit a primary loser from appearing on the general election ballot. So Trump won't be able to get on the ballot there. Also, the convention is the second half of July. That is too late to get on the ballot in many of the states that would otherwise legally permit him to.

He'll run in the states he can just to punish the GOP and prevent them from winning.

He'll also probably challenge those sore loser laws in court. I can't concieve of how they're in any way constitutional, but they've been upheld before and likely will again. Still, he could get lucky and win.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point