And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 23, 2016, 10:05:45 AM
The media just wants to make money.

NPR just wants donations. Pledge now for this tote bag!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

What's happening is that the media is saying that there's no way that Sanders can win, so people who refuse to vote for Clinton aren't bothering to go out and vote. They tend toward Bernie or no one, and if there's no chance that Sanders can win, it's no one.

It infuriates me that the media is allowing themselves to have such a hand in the outcome. They're so blatantly and obviously pro-Clinton, and it's driving me crazy.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

I'm sad that you want the charade that Bernie is going to win to continue. I think you'd recognize that it is a time for the Dems to start coming together not continuing to lunge at one another's throats.

Besides, nothing you've said really refutes that the narrative is basically true. I'll say it again so it can be heard in the cheap seats - Sanders would need a miracle at this point to win.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Right now Sanders supporters are holding onto the notion that somehow the big liberal states (New York, California, even Washington) will go overwhelmingly for Sanders and he can win at the convention by convincing superdelegates to defect.

I think Sanders will be crushed in NY and he will probably do okay in California, but he won't eat into Clinton's lead much.

I thought I found Trump supporters bad, but Bernie supporters are downright insufferable.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Yeah, Sanders is basically done.  Of course it is still mathematically *possible* for him to win.  But that outcome is so inconsistent with the polls that it isn't unfair to say it is not possible.  He needs to win most, if not all, the remaining races by wide margins, but I don't think any credible poll has shown there is even a remote chance of that happening. 

I also understand the Democrats allocate their delegates proportionately, and that makes it hard for someone to catch up.  If it is mostly winner take all, Sanders only need to win 51% of the votes to overcome the delegate deficit.  But under a proportionate system, he needs to win a lot more than 51%. 

I am not getting into superdelegates.  I think like 90%+ of these have pledged they will support Hillary.  Someone has made an argument that they'll switch over if Sanders wins the elected delegate race, but there are also doubts if that's going to happen. 

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on March 23, 2016, 10:09:14 AM
What's happening is that the media is saying that there's no way that Sanders can win, so people who refuse to vote for Clinton aren't bothering to go out and vote. They tend toward Bernie or no one, and if there's no chance that Sanders can win, it's no one.

It infuriates me that the media is allowing themselves to have such a hand in the outcome. They're so blatantly and obviously pro-Clinton, and it's driving me crazy.

Really, I think the media talks about the democrats as little as possible, as it distracts from their "All Trump All The Time" ideal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

Sanders and Trump supporters claiming voter fraud in states where their candidate didn't win. It's such an alien concept for some people that the guy they like didn't win.

alfred russel

Kasich got beat in Arizona by Rubio. Not even close really--Kasich would have had to increase his vote total by ~50% to catch Rubio.

Kasich is undermining any attempt to stop Trump. Really selfish to stay in at this point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

You assume Kasich voters will nearly all go to Cruz.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on March 23, 2016, 10:50:18 AM
Kasich is undermining any attempt to stop Trump. Really selfish to stay in at this point.

Maybe he hates Cruz more. Or figures the convention might still give him the nomination.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

LaCroix

Quote from: alfred russel on March 23, 2016, 10:50:18 AM
Kasich got beat in Arizona by Rubio. Not even close really--Kasich would have had to increase his vote total by ~50% to catch Rubio.

would kasich voters vote for cruz over trump? seems like trump generally has the non-religious crowd

celedhring

I think Kasich's "point" is to act as a spoiler to Trump in blue states. The GOP isn't playing to win anymore, just to reach a brokered convention.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on March 23, 2016, 10:09:14 AM

But there is very little chance Bernie can win. :mellow:

You want infuriating - see how much media coverage Trump has received compared to every single one of his competitors. :bleeding:  But to be fair it's not that they're pro-Trump - it's just that Trump drives ratings. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

If Hillary could get a bit tougher on Islam, she'd be a pretty well rounded candidate. Minus all the federal charges, of course.

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on March 23, 2016, 11:16:09 AM
Minus all the federal charges, of course.

Eh it is all part of being a Clinton. They are always being investigated for something.