2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 03:21:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 03:16:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 03:01:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 02:54:13 PM
I never actually considered that relationship but wouldn't it be a bit parasitic?

Well they are our third largest trading partner.

But can they afford to "let you go"?

Well fucking with us would hurt them more than it hurts us. Sort of like our relationship with Canada. But still...no need to actively antagonize them.

What if they refuse to pay for the wall and continue sending rapists into your territory? To me this seems aggravating enough.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 03:26:05 PM
What if they refuse to pay for the wall and continue sending rapists into your territory? To me this seems aggravating enough.

:lol:

I am sure President Trump will sit down with Nieto and work it all out -_-

Speaking of our friends and neighbors pity Obama is on the way out. Trudeau really seemed taken by him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 03:29:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 03:26:05 PM

:lol:

I am sure President Trump will sit down with Nieto and work it all out -_-

Speaking of our friends and neighbors pity Obama is on the way out. Trudeau really seemed taken by him.

I remember the Mulroney-Reagen relationship - the two got along famously.  And the Canadian media was all over Mulroney for it for "not standing up for Canada".

Harper deliberately kept his distance from both Bush (whom he had an ideological affinity for) and from Obama (whom he did not).  The media complained about that as well.

But Trudeau and Obama making moon eyes at each other and the media eats it up with a spoon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Why talk about the puny billions you give to Egypt and Israel? There are much bigger foreign policy involvements, where you spend much more money. But maybe not for much longer...

QuoteTrump questions need for NATO, outlines noninterventionist foreign policy

[...]

Speaking ahead of a major address on foreign policy later Monday in front of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Trump said he advocates an aggressive U.S. posture in the world with a light footprint. In spite of unrest abroad, especially in the Middle East, Trump said the United States must look inward and steer its resources toward rebuilding domestic infrastructure.

[...]

He questioned the United States' continued involvement in NATO and, on the subject of Russia's aggression in Ukraine, said America's allies are "not doing anything."

"Ukraine is a country that affects us far less than it affects other countries in NATO, and yet we're doing all of the lifting," Trump said. "They're not doing anything. And I say: 'Why is it that Germany's not dealing with NATO on Ukraine? Why is it that other countries that are in the vicinity of Ukraine, why aren't they dealing? Why are we always the one that's leading, potentially the third world war with Russia.' "

Trump said that U.S. involvement in NATO may need to be significantly diminished in the coming years, breaking with nearly seven decades of consensus in Washington. "We certainly can't afford to do this anymore," Trump said, adding later, "NATO is costing us a fortune, and yes, we're protecting Europe with NATO, but we're spending a lot of money."

Trump sounded a similar note in discussing the U.S. presence in the Pacific. He questioned the value of massive military investments in Asia and wondered aloud whether the United States still was capable of being an effective peacekeeping force there.

"South Korea is very rich, great industrial country, and yet we're not reimbursed fairly for what we do," Trump said. "We're constantly sending our ships, sending our planes, doing our war games — we're reimbursed a fraction of what this is all costing."

Asked whether the United States benefits from its involvement in the region, Trump replied, "Personally, I don't think so."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/21/donald-trump-reveals-foreign-policy-team-in-meeting-with-the-washington-post/

The US turning isolationist would have bigger geopolitical consequences than the fall of the Soviet Union.

Valmy

Putin has to be cheering on Trump. They will be best buds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Am I bad if I don't really care much about Gaza?  I mean there are people who are much worse off, and haven't actually brought that trouble on themselves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 03:55:15 PM
Am I bad if I don't really care much about Gaza?  I mean there are people who are much worse off, and haven't actually brought that trouble on themselves.

Compassion fatigue.  You can't get outraged about everyone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 03:55:15 PM

I think not caring much about Gaza is a rational response since there is little that can be done about it.

Though I was REALLY bitter the international community did not step in when the Israelis pulled out and helped build a functional state...but there is a significant chance things may have gone horribly no matter what. But that was 10 years of water under the bridge ago.

garbon

Bernie crushed on overseas vote. Thankfully few delegates so while Bernie got 9, Hil got 4.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 21, 2016, 08:47:19 AM
Those odds imply about a 70% chance Hillary will win a heads up matchup. That doesn't seem crazy. I think I'd still bet on Hillary with those odds.

How do you convert betting odds into probabilities?

Tried to derive it myself last night but got nowhere.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2016, 04:01:37 PM
Bernie crushed on overseas vote. Thankfully few delegates so while Bernie got 9, Hil got 4.

How does overseas vote work in the GE? You vote in the election of the last state you resided in?

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2016, 04:03:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2016, 04:01:37 PM

How does overseas vote work in the GE? You vote in the election of the last state you resided in?

Yeah you send in an absentee ballot to the state you are considered a resident in.

garbon

Which is last state you were a resident (even if you don't plan to go back) - so I'm a New Yorker.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.