And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 06, 2016, 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2016, 09:04:31 PM
Nominating Rubio, though, would probably cause Trumpists to flee the party en masse, leaving the GOP broken and Rubio badly weakened in the general election. Nominating him would also be perceived by populists in both the Trump and Cruz camps as a middle finger from the establishment, a case of the elites rigging the game for their favored candidate even though he finished third in delegates (as seems likely). It would be civil war. So if Rubio can't be nominated at the convention and he also can no longer win a majority of delegates before the convention, what's the point of him continuing his campaign?

This narrative again. I remember a time when "establishment" meant moderates.

It is also a really stupid narrative. Lets just assume that he eeks out a win in Florida and wins in California. Those would give him 272 delegates, way more than the current gap Trump and Rubio and almost as many delegates as Cruz has won so far. If he goes into the convention with the most delegates, why would people think it was robbery? Or even more conservatively, why would Cruz people walk out if they finished third in delegates and Rubio second (with Trump first)?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

What is up with the assumptions about four or more percent growth every year all these fruitcakes indulge in.

Well this also explains why Siege likes Cruz :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 06, 2016, 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2016, 09:04:31 PM
Nominating Rubio, though, would probably cause Trumpists to flee the party en masse, leaving the GOP broken and Rubio badly weakened in the general election. Nominating him would also be perceived by populists in both the Trump and Cruz camps as a middle finger from the establishment, a case of the elites rigging the game for their favored candidate even though he finished third in delegates (as seems likely). It would be civil war. So if Rubio can't be nominated at the convention and he also can no longer win a majority of delegates before the convention, what's the point of him continuing his campaign?

This narrative again. I remember a time when "establishment" meant moderates.

I'm so fucking tired of the word "establishment".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2016, 09:44:31 PM
What is up with the assumptions about four or more percent growth every year all these fruitcakes indulge in.

Well this also explains why Siege likes Cruz :P

With his fervent belief in the singularity, you'd think he'd go for Rubio.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 04, 2016, 07:32:47 AM
Between March 5th and 12th the following GOP primaries will be held. They are all proportional, winner take all states start on the fifteenth. Here are my predictions.

Kansas - Cruz   
Kentucky - Trump
Louisiana - Trump
Maine - Trump    
Puerto Rico - Rubio   

Hawaii - Kaisch   
Idaho - Cruz   
Michigan - Trump   
Mississippi - Trump    
Washington D.C. - Rubio   
Guam - Rubio

I'm 4 for 5 so far. I think the rest of my guesses remain good, aside from Hawaii. That'll probably go Rubio.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 06, 2016, 07:11:23 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 06, 2016, 07:05:43 PM
Jesus, that is just plain depressing. The only one close to Trump is the one who would actually be even worse...

I used to think that, but I've come around to the notion that Trump would clearly  be worse. Every time he speaks something authoritarian or even outright Fascist comes out of his mouth. Cruz would by no means be good, but he wouldn't be as bad as Trump.

I disagree. I think it's a matter of flavour. Trump will be Hunger Games to Cruz's Handmaid's Tale.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on March 06, 2016, 07:12:55 PM
I know so little of Ted Cruz. Besides him being evangelical and flat-taxer (and there's plenty of those in the GOP nowadays), what makes him score so high in the awfulness rankings? I keep reading that everybody hates him for whatever reason.

If Trump is fascism-inspired, then Cruz is dominionism-inspired. I prefer the former to the latter. I'd rather have a guy with a nuke button who is a racist and an authoritarian, than one who believes that the final battle between good and evil must happen in Israel to usher in the God's Kingdom on Earth.

Berkut

Cruz is fucking crazy. He is a religious nutcase.

Trump is a simple populist demagogue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2016, 12:59:39 AM
I don't think Kaisch will win anything.

This week, probably not, he could win Ohio next week though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

He needs to get those delegates to help keep Mitt's hopes up.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2016, 01:32:01 AMCruz is fucking crazy. He is a religious nutcase.

he's brilliant and there's no sign of a mental disorder, so he's probably not actually a religious nutcase

Jaron

Why does religion scare Languish so much?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.