News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 05, 2016, 02:30:10 PM
Webb switched parties a long time ago. He used to be a Republican.

He's a complex man who cannot be easily defined by two-dimensional standards.

celedhring

Looks like Cruz is going to have a good night. Will be funny if the party ultimately has to rally around him.

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 01:19:08 PMI am not sure - I understand that "they" is the neutral form.

"they" is a plural pronoun. but some assholes think we should toss out clarity and adopt a singular "they" for various reasons (apparently including transgender rights)

Grinning_Colossus

Farsi and Dari have neuter 3rd person pronouns, so the argument from linguistic determinism falls sorta flat. I can understand the argument from personal autonomy, but it seems like it could lead us toward a confusing profusion of personalized pronouns.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

We have a perfectly good neutral third person pronoun.  It.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

What the hell happened to Rubio?  He is doing barely better than Kasich today.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 05, 2016, 02:24:59 PM
Only lefties are entitled to the pronoun of their choice, I guess.

Ok I am super confused what you mean.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Very interesting that Cruz can now claim geographic diversity in his support:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2016, 10:54:26 PM

Jenner disagrees with Marty politically and suddenly she's he or it or they.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 05, 2016, 11:06:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2016, 10:54:26 PM

Jenner disagrees with Marty politically and suddenly she's he or it or they.

Ah ok. Gotcha.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on March 05, 2016, 11:04:23 PM
Very interesting that Cruz can now claim geographic diversity in his support:

Most of his wins and Trump's losses wwre in caucus states. Trump does better in primaries.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

81.4% of the vote going to Trump and Cruz on election day? The GOP establishment is currently throwing themselves off the top of the Washington Monument.

QuoteNate Silver
    ✔
    ‎@NateSilver538

LA election day votes, per my colleague @bycoffe:
    Cruz 40.9%
    Trump 40.5%
    Rubio 9.4%
    Kasich 6.8%
    Note: a few precincts still outstanding.

Follow
    Nate Silver
    ✔
    ‎@NateSilver538

By comparison, Louisiana early votes:
    Trump 46.7%
    Cruz 22.9%
    Rubio 20.1%
    Kasich 3.7%
    1:31 PM - 6 Mar 2016
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Quote from: Phillip V on March 05, 2016, 10:41:44 PM
What the hell happened to Rubio?  He is doing barely better than Kasich today.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results

I know what a loser looks like and he's a loser, believe me. A little baby loser. It's amazing how much he loses. Amazing.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Lettow77

In this instance Texas can be forgiven the apostasy of abjuring the Solid South. Cruz is tenuously, ostensibly, a native son, and Texans are second to none when it comes to self-celebration.

Words of celebration and gratitude are to be extended to Kentucky, which by the narrowest of margins repudiated the mistakes of earlier eras and cleaved to the South which has ever embraced her, despite reservations and misgivings.

All eyes look to North Carolina, to see if the yankee colonizers of that fair state can be overcome, as it was in Virginia, that Southern orthodoxy may continue to stand united in populist bigotry as was in days of old.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on March 05, 2016, 08:42:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 01:19:08 PMI am not sure - I understand that "they" is the neutral form.

"they" is a plural pronoun. but some assholes think we should toss out clarity and adopt a singular "they" for various reasons (apparently including transgender rights)

Aww, poor baby.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.