News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I like pie too. And cake. And flan. And ... I should stop now.

In other news, this GOP debate is a fucking circus.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 03, 2016, 09:26:02 PM

You didn't make it to the ice cream. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2016, 09:42:02 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 03, 2016, 09:26:02 PM

You didn't make it to the ice cream. :(

I'm trying to behave man, I'm trying. :( :fat:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Hillary huh? Was she mentioned in the debate?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2016, 11:27:17 PM
Hillary huh? Was she mentioned in the debate?

I think it might be due to reasonable folks being repelled by the freakshow?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 03, 2016, 07:45:49 PM
11% of Muslims plan to vote for Trump?  :wacko:

That's troubling. But at least Clinton and Sanders are even more suspect.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2016, 01:08:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 03, 2016, 07:45:49 PM
11% of Muslims plan to vote for Trump?  :wacko:

That's troubling. But at least Clinton and Sanders are even more suspect.

Good point. Carson got a perfect score- no Muslims wanted to vote for him. Perhaps he should be President.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Very few people want to vote for Carson at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

America doesn't need another black president right now.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Mitt struggled against Santorum and Gingrich. If he tries this then Trump will destroy him.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/romney-says-hes-not-a-candidate-hes-lying.html
QuoteMarch 3, 2016 1:25 p.m.
Romney Says He's Not a Candidate — Don't Believe Him
By Gabriel Sherman

When Mitt Romney took the stage at the University of Utah Thursday morning, it was to throw himself on the tracks in front of the Donald Trump train speeding toward the Republican nomination. Over the course of a blistering 15-minute speech, Romney emptied the Establishment's oppo-research file on Trump. He called the real-estate mogul a "phony" and a "fraud." He catalogued his business failures. "What happened to Trump Airline, Trump Vodka, Trump Magazine, Trump Steaks, and Trump Mortgage?" Romney said. He cast Trump as a dangerous strongman who is "reckless in the extreme."

At the opening of his speech, Romney made one thing clear. "I'm not here to announce my candidacy for office," he said. But, in a sense, it was just that declaration, however unorthodox.

The scenario that's been floated in recent days by GOP insiders I've spoken to is that Romney could enter the Republican primary race late in California and New York to deny Trump the delegates necessary to clinch the nomination. Then, at a brokered convention, Romney would emerge as the party's choice on a second ballot. There's no real hope that Romney would be able to beat Clinton — it would essentially be a suicide mission — but losing in 2016, while being able to cast the Trump phenomenon as a fringe aberration, would be better for the party in the long run.

Romney's speech contained many hints that he could put this plan into action. He included the requisite praise of Establishment candidates. "The only serious policy proposals that deal with the broad range of national challenges we confront today come from Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and John Kasich. One of these men should be our nominee," he said. But as each day goes by, with none of these candidates demonstrating an ability to stop Trump, the GOP seems to be grasping for an alternative. And the logical one is Romney himself.

Romney spoke of putting country first. "We've been blessed with great people, people who placed the interests of the country above their own," he said, further describing a Trump presidency as a dystopian hellscape, like the alternate 1985 ruled by Biff Tannen in Back to the Future II. He cast this outcome as the end of the world as we know it. "There never was a democracy that hasn't committed suicide," he said, quoting John Adams. To prevent this, Trump must be halted.

Romney may not have explicitly volunteered for the job, but he has now made clear his willingness to be drafted.

1 Karma Chameleon point