Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2016, 05:57:48 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 05:44:16 PM
It's been a couple of years now, but I still can't get anyone on Languish to stop foaming at the mouth about Warren for long enough to be able to coherently explain to me why she's such a bad person.

To a Scandiween she sounds very reasonable.

Just went through her political positions as listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Elizabeth_Warren

I'm fine with 80-90% of that.
Her positions sound like what a mainstream politician here would say.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 06:04:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 06:00:32 PM
It doesn't matter how I ask, non-answers like that is what I always get.

When have you tried to ask nicely?
Sometime before I gave up on the concept, annoyed with the fact that all answers discuss me rather than Warren.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 06:11:46 PM
Sometime before I gave up on the concept, annoyed with the fact that all answers discuss me rather than Warren.

Well that was fun.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 06:26:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 06:11:46 PM

Well that was fun.

Don't treat Dguller like Raz.  He's better then that. :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2016, 06:05:46 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2016, 05:57:48 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 05:48:53 PM
It's been a couple of years now, but I still can't get anyone on Languish to stop foaming at the mouth about Warren for long enough to be able to coherently explain to me why she's such a bad person.

To a Scandiween she sounds very reasonable.

Just went through her political positions as listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Elizabeth_Warren

I'm fine with 80-90% of that.
Her positions sound like what a mainstream politician here would say.

Yeah, she's even a bit to the right of our progressives in a few issues. But then again, Bernie would be a pretty mainstream social-democrat over here.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 05:50:11 PM

There are nice ways to ask for an opinion and there are ways that are not as nice.

Hey, Yi, why is Warren such a bad person?  Asking for a friend.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2016, 07:07:54 PM

My dislike for Warren stems from the way she pretended there is a relationship between debit card and overdraft fees and the subprime crisis so she could piggy the Financial Consumer Protection thingy on Dodd-Frank.  It increased each time she asked why no banker was in jail, as if lending money which is not repaid was a criminal act.  She has since said or written nothing to dispel the impression that she views business regulation as a Manichean fight against evil, as opposed to a balancing of costs of benefits.

And probably works better than of.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2016, 06:34:35 PM
Don't treat Dguller like Raz.  He's better then that. :mad:

Not when he uses the Raz baiting tactic.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 07:44:32 PM
It increased each time she asked why no banker was in jail, as if lending money which is not repaid was a criminal act. 

It is a criminal act if you're aware that it can't be repaid and you're passing the bill onto somebody else. Some banks made billions selling securities built upon worthless credit.

I'm not saying there was indeed criminal behavior (you'd need establish whatever is the English legalese for doing something wrongly being fully aware of it), but it seems a legitimate question.

jimmy olsen

Clinton must be getting nervous

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/02/17/topnv1.pdf

Democrats, MoE: 6%
Clinton: 48%
Sanders: 47%

Republicans, MoE: 6.5%
Trump: 45%
Rubio: 19%
Cruz: 17%
Carson: 7%
Kasich: 5%
Jeb!: 1%
Someone Else: 2%
No Opinion: 4%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Pretty awesome chart. If Bernie is only one down in Nevada as the latest CNN poll suggests, it would seem he has legitimate chance to win the nomination.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanderss-path-to-the-nomination/

QuoteHow much trouble will Hillary Clinton be in if she loses in Nevada, where Democrats will caucus on Saturday? How close does Bernie Sanders need to come in South Carolina, which votes a week later? And which states are really "must-wins" for Sanders in March, April and beyond?

We can try to answer all of those questions with the help of the gigantic chart you'll see below. On the left-hand side of the chart, you'll find a projection for how each state might go if recent national polls are right, with Clinton ahead of Sanders by about 12 percentage points nationally. The right-hand side is more crucial: It shows how the states might line up if the vote were split 50-50 nationally. Since the Democrats' delegate allocation is highly proportional to the vote in each state, that means Sanders will be on track to win the nomination if he consistently beats these 50-50 benchmarks. Conversely, Clinton will very probably win the nomination if Sanders fails to do so, especially since superdelegates would likely tip a nearly tied race toward Clinton.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 07:44:32 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2016, 07:07:54 PM

My dislike for Warren stems from the way she pretended there is a relationship between debit card and overdraft fees and the subprime crisis so she could piggy the Financial Consumer Protection thingy on Dodd-Frank.  It increased each time she asked why no banker was in jail, as if lending money which is not repaid was a criminal act.  She has since said or written nothing to dispel the impression that she views business regulation as a Manichean fight against evil, as opposed to a balancing of costs of benefits.

And probably works better than of.

I have a third cousin who did jail time for lending money that could not be repayed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Not for assault & battery against the debtor?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?