News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2016, 05:06:30 PM
How many relevant openly gay GOP politicians are there? (governors/reps/senators). I'm curious.

The US Ambassador to Spain is openly gay, but a Dem.

Probably none. I don't know of any. Actually I don't know of any democrats either, though I bet there are some.

Since I can all but guarantee Tim will not post this poll, an NBC / Wall Street Journal poll is out today showing that Trump is no longer in first nationally (though others show he is still up):

Cruz 28%
Trump 26%
Rubio 17%
Kasich 11%
Carson 10%
Bush 4%

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-falls-second-national-gop-220040563.html;_ylt=AwrBT9WQ8cRWC_4AcgtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNW84ODh0BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE1NjNfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Check out what happens when the field narrows:

QuoteIf the race were narrowed to a two-candidate field, the poll shows, Cruz leads Trump by 56 percent to 40 percent, while Rubio leads by 57 percent to 41 percent.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

How many relevant openly gay GOP politicians are there? (governors/reps/senators). I'm curious.

According to a random wiki list, there have been multiple gay GOP congressmen, but most either never came out, or came out after they left office, or were outed and very quickly left office.

It does suggest one name - Jim Kolbe, who came out in 1996 and continued to serve until 2006.

It does appear he was caught up in the congressional page scandal however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_Americans_in_the_United_States_Congress
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: alfred russel on February 17, 2016, 05:23:25 PM

Since I can all but guarantee Tim will not post this poll, an NBC / Wall Street Journal poll is out today showing that Trump is no longer in first nationally (though others show he is still up):

Cruz 28%
Trump 26%
Rubio 17%
Kasich 11%
Carson 10%
Bush 4%

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-falls-second-national-gop-220040563.html;_ylt=AwrBT9WQ8cRWC_4AcgtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNW84ODh0BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE1NjNfMQRzZWMDc2M-

QuoteIf the race were narrowed to a two-candidate field, the poll shows, Cruz leads Trump by 56 percent to 40 percent, while Rubio leads by 57 percent to 41 percent.

Jon Stewart promised me Cruz would never be president so I reject your poll.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 05:25:20 PM
Jon Stewart promised me Cruz would never be president so I reject your poll.

The poll is about the GOP nomination.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 17, 2016, 05:23:25 PM

Probably none. I don't know of any. Actually I don't know of any democrats either, though I bet there are some.

Cruz 28%
Trump 26%
Rubio 17%
Kasich 11%
Carson 10%
Bush 4%

So in the last day, we've had a poll that said "Trump is stronger than ever", and another poll that said "Trump is no longer in front".  :hmm: Something does not compute.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

It's been a couple of years now, but I still can't get anyone on Languish to stop foaming at the mouth about Warren for long enough to be able to coherently explain to me why she's such a bad person.

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on February 16, 2016, 10:25:05 AM
Nobody likes him but the public.  ;)

Well, he is just spreading the same kind of toxic message to the white straight males as the likes of Al Sharpton or Macklemore have been spreading to blacks, gays and whatnot. "Your life sucks not because you are an asshole, or dumb, or lazy, or promiscuous, or an obese pig, or your mother was a crack whore. It's because THEY are oppressing you." It's just the "THEY" that changes from a message to a message, but the template stays the same.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2016, 05:24:19 PM

According to a random wiki list, there have been multiple gay GOP congressmen, but most either never came out, or came out after they left office, or were outed and very quickly left office.

It does suggest one name - Jim Kolbe, who came out in 1996 and continued to serve until 2006.

It does appear he was caught up in the congressional page scandal however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_Americans_in_the_United_States_Congress

So currently none, but they've had some in the past.

1 senator and 6 representatives (all democrats) out of a 535-strong congress isn't a terribly great record in itself, but well, it's a start.

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 05:44:16 PM
It's been a couple of years now, but I still can't get anyone on Languish to stop foaming at the mouth about Warren for long enough to be able to coherently explain to me why she's such a bad person.

To a Scandiween she sounds very reasonable.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

There are nice ways to ask for an opinion and there are ways that are not as nice.

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on February 17, 2016, 05:48:53 PM

To a Scandiween she sounds very reasonable.

Just went through her political positions as listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Elizabeth_Warren

I'm fine with 80-90% of that.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2016, 05:50:11 PM

There are nice ways to ask for an opinion and there are ways that are not as nice.
It doesn't matter how I ask, non-answers like that is what I always get.

Monoriu

I don't know her.  So I assume she is a moderate, rational and intelligent person. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2016, 06:00:32 PM
It doesn't matter how I ask, non-answers like that is what I always get.

When have you tried to ask nicely?