Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2016, 10:28:44 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2016, 10:25:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2016, 10:05:41 AM

Wow, some of these results are wildly different. I thought only our polling companies sucked.

This event is almost impossible to poll.

Almost no one goes to the caucuses--it is an "election" that you have to show up to on a certain time and certain day, and listen to annoying speeches, and at least for one party vote openly in front of your neighbors. Maybe 10% of the population will participate. Of that 10%, some will go to the republican and some the democratic caucus. So how do you poll that?

So why the fuck even show the polls? Or comment on them?

It's supposedly an indicator of voter enthusiasm for a particular candidate.  Has not really been the case for the last two Republican caucuses, but the one that Obama won 8 years ago was kind of a big deal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2016, 03:18:00 PM
Also, if O'Malley can pull of the big upset and win tonight, it will show that maybe pigs really can fly and all that effort I've spent trying to shoot moonbeams out of my ass isn't in vain.

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 10:30:41 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 07:51:39 AM
Potential GOP field looks like it might be the best since 1988.  Rubio, Jeb Bush, Christie, Jindal, Scott Walker, and Rand Paul.

LOLZ

Sorry it didn't work out for you Spicey.

Hey, there are still a couple good ones!  Just didn't factor in the Trump card.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2016, 04:15:46 PM
Potential GOP field looks like it might be the best since 1988.  Rubio, Jeb Bush, Christie, Jindal, Scott Walker, and Rand Paul.

LOLZ

It's more than just Trump though.

Two years ago, who thought Jeb Bush would be such a dud campaigner?  That Chris Christie would implode over a scandal in NJ involving bridges?  That Scott Walker would be Not Ready For Primetime?  That Rand Paul would utterly fail to build on his father's success?

There's hope yet though.  Rubio seems to be doing well.  Christie's all-in New Hampshire strategy is showing some positive results.  If someone can convince Paul, Bush and some of the other also-rans to pull out we might see some consolidation behind a more traditional candidate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2016, 04:44:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2016, 04:15:46 PM

LOLZ

It's more than just Trump though.

Two years ago, who thought Jeb Bush would be such a dud campaigner?  That Chris Christie would implode over a scandal in NJ involving bridges?  That Scott Walker would be Not Ready For Primetime?  That Rand Paul would utterly fail to build on his father's success?

There's hope yet though.  Rubio seems to be doing well.  Christie's all-in New Hampshire strategy is showing some positive results.  If someone can convince Paul, Bush and some of the other also-rans to pull out we might see some consolidation behind a more traditional candidate.

The problem is not with the candidates.  They are fine.  I mean, really who gives a shit about some road closings in New Jersey?  The problem is the with the GOP rank and file who are in revolt.  I think there is a real possibility of a short term split (like the Democrats in 1948 and 1968.), particularly if Trump wins a plurality of votes but loses in the convention.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2016, 03:18:00 PM
Obviously the Republican result is much more fun to watch from a trainwreck perspective, but the Democratic result could be decisive. Sanders will probably win New Hampshire, and a win in Iowa will give him a lot of momentum and he will start looking like a winner--that could turn the polls around in later states. It is hard to see how splitting the first two states, with one state being right next to his own, will have the same effect. Also, if O'Malley can pull of the big upset and win tonight, it will show that maybe pigs really can fly and all that effort I've spent trying to shoot moonbeams out of my ass isn't in vain.

If O'Malley can pull it out, maybe there's hope for Gilmore after all.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

QuoteHuge turnout at GOP caucuses on east side of DSM so far
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/694313371185729536?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

QuoteDeborah Humphrey is at her caucus to support Trump. She says she last voted in 1968 for Richard Nixon
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/694315979409485824/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2016, 07:38:54 PM
Come on, Donald, you can do this. :unsure:

If the conventional wisdom is correct, high turnout is good for the Donald.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2016, 07:35:40 PM

QuoteDeborah Humphrey is at her caucus to support Trump. She says she last voted in 1968 for Richard Nixon
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/694315979409485824/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Well that settles it. Some dude on twitter says turnout is high and Debbie supports Trump. I'm going to bed. Wake me up after we've sworn in President Trump.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2016, 07:40:46 PM

I know.  But, still, it's hard to not be nervous.

Liep

Has he run before?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Wait a second Tim...the caucuses don't even start for 11 more minutes--and when you posted the tweet about high turnout it was 25. So some dude on twitter apparently at one site well before the caucuses start says turnout is high, and you go with that?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2016, 07:44:21 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 01, 2016, 07:35:40 PM

Well that settles it. Some dude on twitter says turnout is high and Debbie supports Trump. I'm going to bed. Wake me up after we've sworn in President Trump.

That Twitter guy is being quoted by the Guardian

1 Karma Chameleon point