News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 14, 2016, 03:39:50 PM
But...how could they have been a resident for 14 years when the country didn't even exist that long?

English sentences can be hard to parse. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The Cruz thing is being driven by three factors:
Number 1 are law academics and activists who oppose an constitutional interpretive theory called organalism that has some cachet in conservative circles, and is perhaps most notably (notoriously?) associated with Justice Scalia.  The case against Cruz's eligibility is based on a variant of originalism.  Thus, some left-leaning academics have picked up the narrative as a gotcha, hoisted-on-your-own petard story.  (Cruz apparently has supported originalist theories).
Number 2 is Trump who is doing this to troll Cruz and knock him down in their shared competition for the GOP "low information voter" vote.
Number 3 are Cruz's colleagues and other associated conservatives who are happy to see him twist in the wind.

It's not an edifying spectacle.  True, in light of the many stupid politician tricks that Cruz has pulled in the campaign, there is temptation to Schadenfreude.  But bad medicine is bad medicine - no one should be forced to taste it even if is their own.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

:yes: It's idiotic.  And seriously, even if you have a legitimately questionable case, how pathetic is it try to bump someone off from the ticket on an irrelevant technicality?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on January 14, 2016, 04:47:13 PM
:yes: It's idiotic.  And seriously, even if you have a legitimately questionable case, how pathetic is it try to bump someone off from the ticket on an irrelevant technicality?

Well, it shows that you're more afraid of them than you are of looking like an idiot. So I guess in political terms it's sort of a complement.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 14, 2016, 04:56:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 14, 2016, 04:47:13 PM

Well, it shows that you're more afraid of them than you are of looking like an idiot. So I guess in political terms it's sort of a complement.

When it comes to saying stuff that makes him look like an idiot, Trump is absolutely fearless.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Is there a document somewhere that clarifies what "natural born" means?

I had always understood it to mean born in the US.  Else why did they have that rigamarole about McCain being born on a military base, considered US territory?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2016, 05:07:36 PM

I had always understood it to mean born in the US.  Else why did they have that rigamarole about McCain being born on a military base, considered US territory?

I just figured it meant 'born a US citizen' as opposed to being naturalized. I think there is some case history here, we went over it during the Obama thing but I don't recall exactly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Not fair! I was born a US citizen, and I would like to have access to the red button!  :mad: :nuke:

Nothing else about the job I would care for.  ^_^
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 14, 2016, 05:11:09 PM
Not fair! I was born a US citizen, and I would like to have access to the red button!  :mad: :nuke:

Nothing else about the job I would care for.  ^_^

What about the interns?  :P

The Minsky Moment

No

QuoteI had always understood it to mean born in the US.  Else why did they have that rigamarole about McCain being born on a military base, considered US territory?

The Tribe/Olson memo cited the sovereign status of the Canal Zone as a second, independent basis for McCain' eligibility.  However, the first basis they cited was the same as for Cruz; i.e. birth overseas to a US citizen parent as per Section 1401.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

The Congressional Research Service thinks it includes everyone eligible for American citizenship at birth:
QuoteFrom historical material and case law, it appears that the common understanding of the
term "natural born" in England and in the American colonies in the 1700s may have included
both the strict common law meaning as born in the territory (jus soli), as well as the statutory
laws adopted in England since at least 1350, which included children born abroad to British
fathers (jus sanguinis, the law of descent).
The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term "natural born" citizen would
mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "by birth" or "at birth," either by being born
"in" the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born
abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for
U.S. citizenship "at birth." Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S.
citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien" required to go through the legal
process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42097.pdf
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2016, 05:14:44 PM

Pretty cool plane.

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 14, 2016, 05:14:53 PM
What about the interns?  :P

Now if we could combine these two things. And we know that the secret service likes to party. :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

On a slightly unrelated matter, I really liked much of what Nikki Haley had to say.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.